Howdy from the Thames Valley!!!!!!

More
11 years 11 months ago #32430 by ihadalitter
Hi everyone,
I'm born and bred on a dairy farm and hubby is a townie, we have 4 children all girls a 2 yo and three 1 yo's.
We are in the process of setting up our own lifestyle block on 30 acres near Thames and currently run dairy beef. We have 3 dairy cows that rear 2 - 3 calves each a year and we finish them off at about 2 years old. 6 are going to the works 2mrw and their weight averages 630kg. Find we get better finish weights from cattle reared on cows than hand reared animals.
I've had great fun teaching hubby about farming. He was hilarious when he first saw a sheep and steer get castrated... Anyone would of thought he'd been castrated!
This winter we planted the last of our orchard with a variety of fruit and some nuts. look forward to when we can bottle our fruit, make sauces and have the kids pick their own fruit. Next goal is to build a house but that will be a few years away, also want to have chooks and pigs.
Look forward to chatting to you all around the boards :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago #433272 by Aria
Howdy!!!

Three one year olds (and a two year old) - yikes! What fun when they're three three year olds and a four :D [:0][:0][:0] :D !!!!

Welcome to LSB - the family and the block sound lovely!

PS - love your 'handle' ... you sure did!

More
11 years 11 months ago #433283 by LongRidge
Welcome. My dad was the vet in Thames for many years (25), and he had an LSB. I used to help castrate piglets, which involved me catching the male piglet, holding it between my thighs, and him going the job...... with a scalpel. Fortunately he never missed :-)

More
11 years 11 months ago #433309 by igor
I'm glad our six children aren't as close together as yours. It must be very hard work for you. Do you plan on keeping going until you get a son? Not sure how he'd go with all those older sisters. Might be a bit intimidating for him.

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds