from town to country!

More
9 years 11 months ago #32361 by jwjl
from town to country! was created by jwjl
i am just moving from the town to a 10acre lifestyle block in fernside. we are starting a new life and really look forward to the fun that lifestyle block ownership has.
Having bought 5 pregnant ewes to start off our animal collection a month or so ago we were thrown in at the deep end today when one ewe produced 2 lovely lambs. One seemed more yellow than white and i wonder if this is normal, if you know that would be cool as i am learning as i go.
Also one of the udders seemed to produce blood rather than any milk, is this a sign of mastitis?

I have left the lambs in the shelter with their mum for the night and look forward to seeing them all in the morning, im hoping that i will find them all safe and well as we do not live on our block just yet.

Would love to hear any great advice from fellow life stylers! :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 11 months ago #432475 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic from town to country!
Welcome! :)

Yellow lamb is normal, red milk is not. Most commonly that's a sign of some sort of trauma, either external to the udder, or because of burst blood vessels from pressure within. It can lead to trouble because the lambs won't want to suckle that teat. You'll need to milk that side out until it comes clear - a few days. Unless the ewe has quite a bit of milk on the other side, you may have to supplement the lambs. If they look tucked up, they're hungry.

More
9 years 11 months ago #432477 by Shropshire Blue

More
9 years 11 months ago #432488 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic from town to country!
Welcome! Hope you can make it the local LSB gathering this Saturday evening -- see stickies on the Your Place forum for more info. Good luck with the rest of your lambing!

Time to create page: 0.219 seconds