A chook made herself at home at our place

More
9 years 11 months ago #32329 by sleepinghorse
I am a new member to lsb and I'm here to learn how to look after back yard chooks. See my story below.

My tiny brood of backyard chooks.

Well, I don’t actually have a brood yet. I have one chook. But then again, I am not even sure if I actually have her. She turned up at our place a few weeks ago and made herself at home in our garden. Well, I think she has made her home here. She appears every day from the same area of the garden and when she has finished foraging on the lawn, she wanders back down to the same place and loses herself in the shrubs and grass cover.

Maybe she is just visiting from a neighbouring property. Maybe she just comes up here to get away from the other chooks. Maybe she is the lowest in the pecking order and she comes here for some respite. But then again, the nearest neighbour is at the bottom of a steep hill and she would have to transverse among the compact native regrowth to get up here. I think she is a bit short and heavy to be doing that every day.

I prefer to think that she has chosen to live here.

I feel sorry for her being out in the cold and the rain. So we have decided to buy her a coop to keep her warm and safe at night and of course she will remain a free range forager by day.

So how does one chook make a brood? Well it doesn’t. And when we bought the coop, of course we got one that can hold four to six chooks. So I am currently looking online trying to decide which breed of chooks will make up the rest of my tiny brood.

I hope to learn heaps from lsb. :confused:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 11 months ago #432188 by DiDi
Well done for adopting this bird. Somehow she just knew where she would find a loving home. :D

More
9 years 11 months ago #432209 by jimminette
What area are you in sleepinghorse? Someone on here may be nearby and have chooks to spare.

More
9 years 11 months ago #432210 by jimminette
Oh and just in case you don't know - it's obligatory to show photos lol

More
9 years 11 months ago #432347 by sleepinghorse
Hi DiDi,
I hope she still thinks she has a loving home after I've introduced some company. She is quite young and dainty so I hope she doesn't get pecked. That's why I'm looking for a docile breed.

Hi Jimminette,
I will put up some photos as soon as I work out how. As you can see I am very much a newbie!
And good idea - we live in Kaukapakapa and I am keen to find some Orpingtons as they seem to be docile and might fit well with my adoptee. I have a contact in Waimauku who might be able to help.

Any other advice or contacts would be greatly appreciated.

Nice to talk to you guys. Thanks.

More
9 years 11 months ago #432349 by muri
There is often someone advertising at the supervalue at waimauku who has brown shavers and i think they are near helensville. Not sure if the ad is still there at the moment tho

More
9 years 11 months ago #432381 by Cinsara
I'm hyjacking this post to update Didi on the bridge chickens :D .

You may remember I had been feeding the ones by the bridge and one by one thay have been run over except for the pretty little hen. She has been on her own for a month or so since her white rooster was hit :( but yesterday a little cockeral that I'd been feeding on the park side had wandered across to her side, and was there again with her this morning so there is a pair there again :) .

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
9 years 11 months ago #432474 by sleepinghorse
Cinsara, What a sweet and sad story. I am glad she is not still on her own. :)

Muri, thanks for the idea about the supermarket notices. Great idea.

Jimminette, I haven't managed to work out the photo thing yet but I will put a link to my blog and there is a photo on that. (I couldn't find any forum etiquette so I am hoping it is ok to link to my blog. Let me know if it is not and I will remove the link.)
mytinybroodofbackyardchooks.wordpress.com/

More
9 years 11 months ago #432476 by DiDi
Thanks Cinsara. I am guilty of out of site, out of mind as I have moved from there and not walking the river have not had to be confronted with the angst I was experiencing. So awesome to hear that the wee cute lady is still there - smart girl and and friend? Yeah!

Thank you soooooooo much for caring and being there for them. Seriously, brings tears to my eyes. Hugs

More
9 years 11 months ago #432498 by Cinsara
Well they're obviously not a pair yet, the rooster was there by the tree this morning but the hen wasn't. It's not unusual for her to be late for breakfast (hopefully she gets there before the myna birds scoff it all) but it means they haven't paired off yet. Hopefully he will realise her roost up the hill behind the Tuakau ITM sign is better than where he is currently sleeping, then they will be a pair for sure. He was telling her breakfast was served but she must have been too far away to hear.

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds