Wood Burning Cookers

More
12 years 1 week ago #32291 by tootsie
Wood Burning Cookers was created by tootsie
Hi there, I am a newby, have only 3/4 acre in north Otago and are wanting to replace our log fire with a wood or multi fuel cooker. Has any one advice on what cookers if any are allowed to be installed on LB smaller than 2 h. We are only small but hope to learn permaculture methods to be as self sufficient as possible. Have made a start by planting plenty of fruit trees and we have a yearling heifer which is grazed on road side and half acre lease block. Hoping to have our own milk and cheese.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 week ago #431664 by charlotte1
Replied by charlotte1 on topic Wood Burning Cookers
Do not quote me and I may be wrong however I thought that if it is a cooker it has different rules than just a woodburner/fireplace and the size of the property doesn't matter.

We are eyeing up a Waterford Stanley "Donard".

More
12 years 1 week ago #431690 by The dream
Replied by The dream on topic Wood Burning Cookers
Welcome Tootsie from a fellow North Otago LSBer. I have no info on wood fired cookers sorry. Maybe contact the council re permit etc and they may be able to tell you directly.

The man at the top of the hill didn't fall there! [:D][^]

7 acres, 10 sheep, 1 cow, 10 chooks, 4 goats, 3 very spoilt cats. Living the dream.

More
12 years 6 days ago #431703 by Rata
Replied by Rata on topic Wood Burning Cookers
Hi Tootsie, I'm in NO too, and have been looking at the same question. The ORC page sends you round in circles and ends up with the MoE list, www.mfe.govt.nz/laws/standards/woodburne...sed-woodburners.html .

So far I haven't been able to find a cooker with an oven that is also approved for a wetback for waterheating. My favourite so far is this, www.creativeheating.co.nz/product-detail...rmington-studio-oven but it doesn't meet specs with wetback : (

More
12 years 6 days ago #431706 by tootsie
Replied by tootsie on topic Wood Burning Cookers
hello all. Thank you for that, I have been searching the net for information on woodfired cookers and the one I would like is a wamsler 700. The silly thing is that we would be replacing a chippie which burns coal to heat our water. We have only a tiny house 40 sq m, so a wood stove would provide all of our heating and hot water.

More
12 years 6 days ago #431760 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic Wood Burning Cookers

tootsie;430106 wrote: hello all. Thank you for that, I have been searching the net for information on woodfired cookers and the one I would like is a wamsler 700. The silly thing is that we would be replacing a chippie which burns coal to heat our water. We have only a tiny house 40 sq m, so a wood stove would provide all of our heating and hot water.

the wamsler is a boiler - it doesn't give off much radiant heat so you might need radiators in the other rooms

you can get a "oven" that goes on top of the Lady Kitchener.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
12 years 5 days ago #431887 by Ohailander
Replied by Ohailander on topic Wood Burning Cookers
I can't remember every where we got prices from but this mob were about half the cost of some of the ones we looked at, for essentially the same thing and they are local (well as local as we could find) www.wagenerstoves.co.nz/fairburn.htm

More
12 years 4 days ago #431981 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Wood Burning Cookers
Ohailander, these are made in my neck of the wood - local gossip is that you get what you pay for. I don't know from experience.

This is on our agenda too as our log burner is coming to the end of it's life. We are rather taken with the Classic range and is probably what we will opt for. Heat, cooking, wetback and umm.... whatever it's called that forces heat through the rest of the house:rolleyes:

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
12 years 4 days ago #432024 by lameredefromage
We are about to install a thermalux woodburning cooker which will also heat our hot water and hydronic underfloor. It is currently sitting in the dining room waiting for its hearth etc to be ready. Friends have one also and absolutely love it. Certainly seem like good quality and very solidly built.
they are made in australia. google thermalux. several companies in NZ can source them.

More
12 years 3 days ago #432071 by Louvainoftheland
I'm also from North Otago, on 230 acres. I have ordered a Homewood stove and I'm on the waiting list which is about six months. I currently have a Gourmet which is a great heater and the oven works well. It's rather hot to be standing in front of cooking and it does use quite a bit of wood but it works very well and is our only source of heat. It would also heat water but ours does not have a wetback. I want to shift it into my woolshed when the new stove is installed so I am hoping it can be retrofitted with a wetback.

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds