Glad to be aboard

More
10 years 5 days ago #32101 by Costa Verde
Hello everyone and good to be involved

18 months ago we bought an acre property with house on the Tutukaka coast Northland.
We had originally planned to purchase land only and then build a house and it was through the information I followed on LSB that determined we go straight for the house and land together.

Based in Auckland for the past fifteen years we are coming to grips with the added wildlife of possums, rabbits, mice and cockroaches as well as the accelerated growth of the local flora.

We have three sheep to keep our two small paddocks in check but the real challenge is the well or over established garden surrounding the house and property.

There are plants there I have never seen before but the grand winner is flax with grisilinia a close second. We have won a battle over banskia (for now) but the aim is to keep the pohutakawa, kowhai and puriri with opportunities to spread.

Thanks to some great advice from Browns Bay mowers I have a handy little tool that cuts through the flax very well but man its still hard work. These things are massive and good luck trying to figure out what to do with them after they are cut down.

Just about everything we have goes through the chipper but the flax is obviously a no no.

Im currently tieing the flax in bundles (with flax, so it does have a use!!) but does anyone have some good advise on how to chop it down quicker and what to do with the stuff ( because there is tons of it!!) after I cut it down?

I can here all the farmers chuckling but hey happy to embrace humility if I can learn off anybody.

Thanks for your time

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 days ago #429333 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Glad to be aboard
Welcome to Northland!

Unless anyone has a better idea, I would suggest leaving the flax to dry out next summer and having a glorious bonfire in the autumn. When I was a lad, we had to remove some huge flax bushes that had got way too big, and the only way to avoid dumping them at the local tip was to burn them. Nobody bothered about suburban rubbish fires in those days and we had some rippers in our backyard when the neighbour didn't have any washing on her line.

Given that you're out in the country, having a big burnup shouldn't pose any problem either, so long as you don't do it when a fire ban is in place. If the flax gets dry enough by November, you could probably even burn it then, before any fire ban comes on.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds