four acres for cows ?

More
10 years 3 days ago #32096 by oxford
four acres for cows ? was created by oxford
Hi. Just in the process of getting a 10 acres at the back of Oxford . I want to keep four acres split into three paddocks tobring on for beef, Is four acres enough ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 days ago #429260 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic four acres for cows ?
Welcome to the forum. :)

Four acres might be enough, probably, for two or three growing near-adult animals, but not a herd.

Do you mean beef for eating, or cows for milking, or both, or what?

More
10 years 3 days ago #429294 by little red digger
Hi. We are on Depot road Oxford so we do not get as much rain as some of the blocks closer to the hills and the soil is not as good. We can run as many as 7 beasts with out running short of grass on 8 acres but we buy in feed to cover the 100 days we feed out for winter. This year we had too much grass due to the good weather.

Dave and Ruth, Oxford Contracting

More
10 years 3 days ago #429296 by X-Toma
Replied by X-Toma on topic four acres for cows ?
We've just brought a 11 acres on Depot road also. Will be looking at keeping 5 acres for hay, 1 acre for House, vegies, chickens,dogs, fruit trees and the remaining 5 for some beefies and some sheep. Was thinking 3 beefies and 3-5 sheep?

More
10 years 2 days ago #429320 by RaeM1
Replied by RaeM1 on topic four acres for cows ?
Remember that the sheep will eat the grass down too short for your cattle, so you need to decide which you want?

More
10 years 2 days ago #429322 by little red digger

RaeM1;427508 wrote: Remember that the sheep will eat the grass down too short for your cattle, so you need to decide which you want?

With3 paddocks just run the cows through 1st and let the sheep come in behind to tidy up. They prefer different lengths of grass anyway.

Dave and Ruth, Oxford Contracting

More
10 years 2 days ago #429365 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic four acres for cows ?
Hi oxford and welcome. I presume you mean Oxford, Canterbury (and now know that X-toma meant Oxford Canterbury :-)).
I would think that most parts of Oxford would not be able to comfortably fatten 1 beef animal on 1 acre .... so the 1 cow per acre rule is too optimistic for you.
Are you planning to sell your beef animals or to homekill them? With homekill you are absolutely prohibited from selling the meat, and can only give it to close family and no-one else. You can cook it for guests but you cannot charge them for the meal, and you cannot raffle it.
Our family of 4 uses about 1 30 month old steer per year. A middle-sized dog uses about 1 old cow every 15 months, or 1 sheep every 2 months, with the offal of both cooked for it.
Thus you will be able to work out how many cattle per year you need.
If I were starting again, and on your land, I would buy 1 20 month steer and one 8 month steer, preferably from the same herd, now. Break feed what grass you have with electric fencing, and then buy some hay to give them 1 bale per day until the grass starts growing in the middle of September.
When enough grass is growing to feed them, shut up as many paddocks as possible to make hay on.
In March, buy a weaner steer, and in April or May get the oldest steer killed.

More
10 years 2 days ago #429407 by Cinsara
Replied by Cinsara on topic four acres for cows ?

little red digger;427510 wrote: With3 paddocks just run the cows through 1st and let the sheep come in behind to tidy up. They prefer different lengths of grass anyway.

It takes forever for sheep grass to grow long enough for cattle so unless the resting is many weeks in duration (which wouldn't be possible on 4 or 5 acres split into 3 paddocks) I don't think a combo of beef and sheep is a practical go personally.

>

More
10 years 1 day ago #429508 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic four acres for cows ?
Cinsara, absolutely agree, especially in Oxford. And if the pasture is cocksfoot, which grows better than ryegrass in dry conditions, then the sheep won't eat it.

Time to create page: 0.235 seconds