Hello from Gladstone!

More
10 years 1 month ago #31723 by Catterry
My wife and I have just bought a small 3ha block with a small farm cottage east of Gladstone/Masterton. The section has lots of established tress and shelter belts.

The cottage is in good condition, pole shed and garage needs some work, but all very livable. We plan on doing lots of plantings and getting settled in. No stock yet, but a friend has offered to put a number of sheep and 2 horses on it to mow the grass.

One thing we go need is a good earth moving contractor and advise on driveway metals and costs in the Masterton Carterton area. So any advise is very welcome.

Catterry.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #425091 by foufee
Replied by foufee on topic Hello from Gladstone!
Hello and Welcome Cattery.

We are also in the Gladstone area. For earth moving we have used Parkers who are local as well (Gladstone/Carterton) and Robyn was very helpful. There are a couple of large Masterton based firms who are also apparently good, Buchanans put in our arena a few years back and did a good job.

More
10 years 1 month ago #425107 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic Hello from Gladstone!
Paterson Earth Movers is also doing a lot of work in the Gladstone area. In the white pages under P

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
10 years 1 month ago #425131 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Hello from Gladstone!
The huge cost of putting gravel onto a driveway is getting the truck to and from the quarry. So the nearest quarry is likely to be the cheapest.
The slope of the drive will have some effect on the grade of gravel that you need. When we started here we were advised at AP20 was the grade to use, so have used that. However, our drive is quite steep, so some helpful person on here suggested that I use AP40 next time. The AP means "All Past" and the number means the maximum mm of the stone. With the AP the fines will pack down and bind quite tight, and the 40mm stones will not get washed away as easily as the 20mm stones tend to.
With the truck, the driver sets the opening so that you get whatever thickness you want at the speed that he drives. To empty the truck, there must be no wires or branches that are lower than the height of the tilted truck deck.

More
10 years 1 month ago #425133 by Catterry
Replied by Catterry on topic Hello from Gladstone!
Thanks guys, I'll get onto it in the morning.

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds