Starting our own Dairy goat operation in West Melton, Chch

More
10 years 1 month ago #31709 by Arronbank
Hi guys,
been around animals & farms all my life. Worked on farms (dairy cows mainly)
Purchased 10 acres in 2001, slowly getting it tamed to what we want (Rome wasn't built in a day).
Inherited my mum's sannan goats in 2004 (started with 1 for my health then it grew from there), now just getting round to doing something with them now we have 1 child (so far) want her to grow up with a rural upbringing and knowing where food comes from, like we did as kids.
We have 2 horses (well, one and a half) Patches is 10hh, 4 sannan goats (until spring), 5 sheep (until spring), 5 dogs (so far)
We are into sled dog racing in winter and race/breed Alaskan Malamutes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #424983 by Andrea1
Welcome!! Good luck starting up with the goats, too!

More
9 years 11 months ago #430496 by Woody
Welcome to West Melton!

A great place to raise children :)

Once you get your herd going we might be interested in some milk... (cheese making)

Regards,

Woody of Canterbury, ESQ
Faber quisque fortunae suae

Land : 10 Acres
Crop : Walnuts, Hazelnuts, Pinenuts, Black Currants, Assorted Fruits, and Grass!
Stock: .5 of a Horse, Orpington, Araucana, and Silkie chickens, Landrace/Duroc Pigs, Turkeys, Angus Cross Calves & Wiltshire Sheep

More
9 years 11 months ago #430831 by elfinbug
Hi Arronbank,
Welcome. Me too. I want to set up a dairy goat herd in the wairarapa, milking at least 150 to start with and supply milk for infant formula. What are your hopes? Did I bump into you in Hamilton recently? Good luck with it all. Goats are the best.

Time to create page: 0.272 seconds