Hi from Far Call

More
10 years 1 month ago #31650 by Far Call
Hi from Far Call was created by Far Call
We are a mini block of one 3.5 acre paddock currently home to 6 old molting hens (saved from cull) three Kunekune sows, 1 boar and 6 piglets. We also have a Chatham Island 2yr old ram who's looking for an East Fresian girlfriend. If anyone knows anyone farming East Fresians please contact me. Hubby is a cheese maker, and daughter is ovo-lacto vegetarian animal lover. I grew up on a King Country station - a life time ago.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #424304 by Cinsara
Replied by Cinsara on topic Hi from Far Call
I think I like your daughter :D BTW welcome, you'll be a regular in no time :)

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
10 years 1 month ago #424378 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Hi from Far Call
I like your log-in name Far Call. Welcome to the site. Our place is of simliar size to yours. We milk a cow and some goats, and run hens, ducks, and a few assorted meat animals. We make our own cheese and butter too. A thing I have often wondered about vegetarians is do they permit themselves to wear leather or is that ruled out along with eating meat? Maybe that is a subject for a thread of it's own.

More
10 years 1 month ago #424410 by Cinsara
Replied by Cinsara on topic Hi from Far Call

igor;422100 wrote: I like your log-in name Far Call. A thing I have often wondered about vegetarians is do they permit themselves to wear leather or is that ruled out along with eating meat?

I don't think every vegetarian is allconsumingly fanatical about it. My friend is a vegan but wears leather, she says the animal died for its flesh not it's skin and of course she is correct.

I didn't even click about the member name...I'm such an innocent :D

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
10 years 1 month ago #424560 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Hi from Far Call
Hi Far Call and welcome. Where is Manakau .... near Levin or near Auckland?
I've spent a week in the Chathams, and thoroughly recommend it for a great time, even if it does cost about 5 times the dollars to get there than to Aussie. It actually cost us $800 to get there and $1200 to get back. I guess they loved having us there :-)
But I didn't see a specific Chathams breed of sheep. But .... the Pitt breed is specific, which is based on Merino.

More
10 years 1 month ago #426558 by Far Call
Replied by Far Call on topic Hi from Far Call
I raised her thinking about 'sad' caged pigs, 'sad' laying hens so I am not surprised she won't eat meat even though we always consume organic free range 'happy' animals bred for food. She currently does not wear or use leather - even during her brief horse riding experience. It is definately an interesting thread.

More
10 years 1 month ago #426560 by Far Call
Replied by Far Call on topic Hi from Far Call
Yes we are the Levin Manakau. I would love to go to the Chathams. My Ram was a birthday gift bred by friends and they said he was Chatham Is .... so thats what I thought he was .... never thought he might not be. I just see him as SPOILT AND FAT!!!

More
10 years 1 month ago #426562 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Hi from Far Call
Hi Far Call, just down the road from us here at at Ohau. There are getting enough of us in the Horowhenua to have a get-together soon!

LR, there is Manukau near Auckland and Manakau Horowhenua-Waikawa Beach is just out on the coast from MANAKAU Horowhenua!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
10 years 1 month ago #426623 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Hi from Far Call
Thanks Sue.
I went to Pitt Island for a day trip, and expected to see herds and herds, and maybe even some flocks, of Pitt Island sheep being farmed. After a while I asked the local that we were with why I could see Suffolks and white sheep but none of the legendary Pitt's. Her reply was that the Pitt sheep all lived on one hill, and were hunted when one was wanted for meat .....I understand they have not been farmed on Pitt for many years.

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds