Hello from Taumarunui

More
10 years 1 month ago #31634 by Echolands
I have just a small block of 3 paddocks and would like to grow Cape Gooseberries but before I do I would love to visit someone who does so I can see how they grow. Up till a week ago I had never tasted them or seen them but now, I think they are very nice.

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #424121 by Aria
Replied by Aria on topic Hello from Taumarunui
Hi can't help on the gooseberries - but welcome to LSB!

More
10 years 1 month ago #424130 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic Hello from Taumarunui
Welcome, I have one that sort of climbs against & through a feijoa bush, others randomly appear around the place thanks to birds carrying the seeds. They seem to be quite scraggly but maybe thats just beacuse I leave them to it

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
10 years 1 month ago #424263 by Cath
Replied by Cath on topic Hello from Taumarunui
Hi,
My cape gooseberries try to climb through other bushes or prop themselves up on the fence. They seem easy to grow, but it's not always easy to get them to fruit at the right time. Last year I read that I should cut them back in spring, which was a total fail - the ones I cut back all died. :(
They come up all over the place, so this year I think I will try transplanting seedlings in spring and staking them (if I get to it) :o
Cheers,
Cath

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds