Hi everyone - from Waikanae, Kapiti Coast

More
11 years 10 months ago #31471 by Al Ferguson
Hello everyone,

Just want to say hello to you all. I currently live in Waikanae and work in Wellington, by necessity not choice, but things are looking as though it won't be too long before there are major changes a happening. Currently got my eyes firmly fixed on a couple of properties, just trying to convince the vendor to be reasonable and see it my way :)

Years ago I used to farm rabbits on a small 1/4 acre block, approx 40 - 50 does and about 20 or 30 bucks, sold meat and pelts. Things went very well for about 12 - 14 months and then there was an influx of cheaper, (inferior quality), Chinese rabbit meat. Would love to get back into it but there appears to be a dearth of information regarding Rabbit Farming in NZ.

Would love to chat to anyone who can point me in correct direction.

In the mean time keep smiling, it makes everyone wonder what you have been up to [}:)]

Al

To discover new places we must first have the courage to leave the old places.
[8D]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 10 months ago #422798 by ARF
Hi,

There is definitely more than a few hurdles in your way in terms of rabbit farming but don't let that put you off if your serious. Some of these are the new laws govern farmed rabbit for human consumption which means rabbits have to be processed through a certified abitoir. Their is only one in the northisland that I know of Easterbrook farms which is a closed shop (they refuse to deal with anyone else's rabbits) they were also established before the new laws so provided they don't change there process they come under the old law.
Another hurdle will be cage's, feeders. These are no longer manufactured in NZ and the materials are difficult to source and very expensive.
If you get past all of that the best option for rabbits is to import them from Australia at approx $250 a piece (1-10) they have developed lines of the NZ whites, Californian's and another composite breed that maybe of interest to a profitable standard. These will give you 2.7kg at 11wks

More
11 years 10 months ago #422848 by kai
Hi there, I am just up the road in Otaki.
Kiwi303 I think was setting up a rabbit abbatoir at one point I think, so he should have some good information.

More
11 years 6 months ago #436273 by kowhai glen
Hi, also VERY interested in producing meat rabbits, means I could at some time in the future be able to work from home instead of 60 hours a week in town. I think there is a huge un-tapped market for meat rabbits, that I really want to get into. The regulatory problems of killing and processing is the only obvious stumbling block, as the current regulations are designed for larger animals (sheep, cattle, deer) or larger volumes (poultry) that doesn't suit a lifestyler's situation. Still, I'm looking at designing a custom killing shed on a large trailer and seeing what the council and FSA think about that.

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds