New from Oregon, looking for Blackboy Peach pits

More
10 years 2 months ago #31452 by killforfood
Hi, I live in the Willamette Valley, Oregon USA.
We have excellent soil and can grow just about anything. The problem is that we have wet springs and Peaches almost always develop Peach leaf curl. I keep reading about these fantastic New Zealand Blackboy Peaches that are resistant to curl and grow true from seed.
I have searched and searched but can't find them here.
I would gladly pay someone for pits and shipping.
I'm currently growing a Frost Peach tree. They are supposed to be resistant to curl but my neighbor will probably lose hers this year to curl. Mine is looking better but I've lost a couple trees over the years and it keeps me nervous. Please, if you have pits and would be willing to sell some let me know.

Thanks, Joel.

12 Chooks, 3 Dogs, 2 Cats, 1 Pigmy Albino Bunny and a few fish here and there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #422398 by reggit
Just check your quarantine/biosecurity regs over there - this sort of stuff through the post might not be okay (wouldn't be if it was coming the other way into NZ!)

[;)]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
10 years 2 months ago #422400 by killforfood
Dormant seeds shouldn't be a problem. Live trees would be.
I did some reading and it sounds like you folks have very strict import rules. Probably similar to Hawaii.

More
10 years 2 months ago #422411 by Andrea1
Do what Tigger says, and I have heaps I can send you. My BB peaches have never had leaf curl, and they are quite prolific. If it's ok to send, I'll post you some. Welcome to the forum! (Both my kids were born in Oregon!)

More
10 years 2 months ago #422437 by killforfood
It appears that the US has a seed import program for the home gardener called “small lots of seed import” I can apply for a free permit that is good for three years. They will provide me with shipping labels that I must mail to the person shipping me the seeds. The label will have an US Agricultural inspection address where the seeds will be inspected then forwarded to me at no additional shipping charge.

Here’s some links explaining the program.

www.gardeningoncloud9.com/200903/shippin...ll-lots-seed-permit/

www.aphis.usda.gov/plant_health/permits/...plantmaterials.shtml

I guess I better get filling out the application.

Joel.

More
10 years 2 months ago #422446 by Andrea1
Go for it! I'm in the middle of our BB peach harvest, and I have literally hundreds of pits, so you can have them.

More
10 years 2 months ago #422529 by LongRidge
My blackboys get curl now :-( but they were OK for a while.

More
10 years 2 months ago #422547 by Andrea1
How long is a while? I've had mine in the ground for 7 years now, and they were started from pits 8 years ago.

More
10 years 2 months ago #422565 by killforfood
Andrea,

I faxed my import permit application to the US Department of Agriculture this morning.
Now comes the hard part. Waiting… Waiting… Waiting…
Nothing is slower than the US Government.

Joel.

More
10 years 1 month ago #425462 by Eithieus
Hello!
I am also from Oregon and live just outside of Portland. I found this group online while continuing my search for Black Boy Peach seeds. I have been trying to find some and was so excited to see this thread! I am hoping to grovel enough to have my search for the Black Boy to come to an end. :D
Sarah

More
10 years 1 month ago #425479 by Andrea1
HI, Sarah -- where outside of Portland? We lived in Hillsboro for nearly 10 years, and both my children were born in Portland.

More
10 years 1 month ago #425605 by Eithieus
We live out hwy 30 in the St Helens area. We head out to Hillsboro / Beaverton area to pick up supplies and such. There are so many stores out there that we just don't have here!
Sarah

More
10 years 1 month ago #425610 by Andrea1
One of the reasons we left was the mass growth in the region. We arrived there in 1989, and by the time we left the whole area wall-to-wall developments and subdivisions. Was mostly farmland when we got there!

More
10 years 1 month ago #425701 by Eithieus
There certainly is lots of development now. I remember the farmland that use to be out there in Hillsboro. Now there is a small area that is left with farms, but not much. The urban growth boundary just keeps getting pushed further and further.
Sarah

More
9 years 4 months ago #451956 by david123
Can anyone help me with blackboy peach seeds

Time to create page: 0.214 seconds