More
10 years 2 months ago #31399 by Mrs Patch
New Member was created by Mrs Patch
Hi All,

We have recently purchased 10 bare acres to set up from scratch an efficient permaculture system. We are not new to permaculture nor lifestyle blocks but we are relatively new to this country (from Aust), but we thought this would be a good place to start for any assistance/troubleshooting that might come our way re-developing in a new country, colder climate, with its differences being in so many and various ways.

We are hopeful that this forum of like-minded block owners will be the exact support necessary to better success.

Thank you in advance.

kind regards, Mrs Patch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #421881 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic New Member
Welcome Mrs. Patch!

More
10 years 2 months ago #421883 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic New Member
Welcome Mrs Patch! A 'forest garden' is something we've long been wanting to do here, but one thing and another has got in the way. I hope to make more of a dent in it in the coming year. One of the biggest problems we've had is trying to grow things which aren't suited to our climate as well as not watering things for long enough. Here we were thinking watering for a year would be long enough, but it really isn't, as we get very long, hot, dry spells with lots of NW wind, which can suck the soil dry in a matter of hours. One escapee goat morning (and it was just the one, but that's all it takes!) 6 of my very best dairy goats undid the latch to their overnight area, BROKE the gate to my veggie garden/forest garden area and killed nearly all the young fruit trees by ring-barking them. I managed to save all of ONE tree. Anyway, would love it if you wouldn't mind sharing your journey. Whereabouts in South Canty are you?

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds