Hi from Horton Hollow

More
10 years 2 months ago #31255 by Horton Hollow
Finally my wife and I have purchased a piece of land to start lifestyling. We both came from lifestyle farms as children so know what we are getting ourselves into.
Currently we have 1.5 acres of prime farm land in Ramarama (South Auckland) and a house design. Once the council have completed their part we will start building.
Having an acre of garden is not our aim. Our approach is more one of self sufficiency, grow it to eat or feed animals to eat. (see Tom and Barbara from "The Good Life").
Our land is positioned in the middle of a 500 acre farm and we have been offered grazing for a cattle beast and a few sheep in exchange for feeding the farm dog when the owner is away.
A paper road is on one boundary which we intend using as an orchard. Other than that we are looking at planting a substantial vege garden and keeping a few chooks. Seriously considering raising rabbits for meat. I have managed to shoot most of the wild ones running around here and enjoy eating them. Will share some tried and true rabbit recipies which I have found and developed after years of shooting rabbits in the South Island.
Looking forward to searching the rest of this site.
Cheers Rod & Mandy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #420349 by thevarneys
Replied by thevarneys on topic Hi from Horton Hollow
Welcome to the good life. :D Ducks are a nice source of meat too and fairly cheap to keep. And for the things you can't grow yourself, you can always barter your excess!

Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

More
10 years 2 months ago #420350 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Hi from Horton Hollow
Welcome
If you want to come rabbit shooting here, muriwai is not too far away
I dont have a shortage of them

More
10 years 2 months ago #420351 by ARF
Replied by ARF on topic Hi from Horton Hollow
New Zealand Whites are a good tried and true performing meat rabbit. Try to start off with some breeders aged 5-6 months or more :D

• foxoldrose
10 years 2 months ago #421519 by foxoldrose
Replied by foxoldrose on topic Hi from Horton Hollow
Hello . Mew here . I'm from New York . I toally wish I can get good along with you in the future days in this forum . I like shopping , sports , music ,surfing and so on . What's your favorite intrest ?

Time to create page: 0.232 seconds