Hi there from inland North Canterbury

More
10 years 3 months ago #31188 by RichardW
Hi there, :D My family and i live on the Amuri plains surrounded by dairy cows.
I grow seed for Koanga,while the other half works at Patoa 3kms away which is the largest pig farm in NZ,we have three children,two pre-teen girls and a son of 13, animals - 20 Merino sheep,one house cow (Polly) 4 pekin ducks, 10 hens, 4 cats and one dog.

I found this site while goggling for info on Gojiberries of which i have a block of 35 plants,i came across a thread discussing this interesting plant and thought "hey i should join up here"

Ok better have a look around

Richard

Running superfine Merino's for 15 years drench free and seed grower, sold through www.sentinelsgroup.co.nz/

Inventor of Watson multishears www.watsonmultishears.co.nz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #419633 by Andrea1
Hello -- welcome to another Cantab! That's nice (and cold in winter!) country up there.

What kind of seed is your specialty there, or is it a variety of seeds? Sounds cool!

More
10 years 3 months ago #419713 by RichardW
Hi Andrea,yes it would be as cold here as Oxford,you get more snow been higher above sea level than us,we are only 175m.

I grow 15 different seed lines in total

Running superfine Merino's for 15 years drench free and seed grower, sold through www.sentinelsgroup.co.nz/

More
10 years 3 months ago #419859 by little red digger
Hi welcome to the site.
We are looking forward to a good winter here. The prediction is for cold and loads of snow. The summer gave us a good supply of feed to put in the shed but I am down sizing with stock just in case.

Dave and Ruth, Oxford Contracting

More
10 years 3 months ago #419871 by muri
Richard, whats the trick to growing gojis then?
I thought it might be too cold up here in auckland but obviously i am wrong!
I am intrigued

More
10 years 3 months ago #419880 by RichardW
Hi little red digger & muri,thanks for your welcomes.
Dont say cold and loads of snow :( but at least my Merinos are having there lambs now and nor later when it is cold.

muri- ive grown my Gojis from seed and have found a huge variability in growth rate & vigour,so much so that ive pulled out the bottom 20% that were simply not up to the standard of the rest.Plan is to take seed from the top plants which out of the block of 35 there's only about half a doz or so and then grow my own,i'll keep this selection process on going and see if in time i can develop my own line.

More
10 years 3 months ago #419932 by SanCha
Hi Richard,

Welcome to LSB forums. I'm in West Eyreton/Oxford area also, only been here since July last year. Had 3 snow falls last winter but it was gorgeous (had no stock then though LOL).

Sandy

--
Sandy
1 K9 - Jazz, 24 Chooks, 12 Wiltshire sheep, 2 MGs heifers & 1 very friendly MG steer and 2 cats - Monty & Meg

More
10 years 3 months ago #419948 by RichardW
Hi Sandy,i know your area well,i have a blade shearing run around a number of lifestyle blocks out your way.

We only got one descent snow fall last winter

More
10 years 3 months ago #419988 by jennym
hello and welcome to the site.

most of us are further south but the weather should be similar.

i have tried growing quite a few gojiberries and i have 1 survivor.
i plan to plant seeds from its berries if and when i get some.

More
10 years 3 months ago #420039 by RichardW
Hi Jenny,Summers are a lot different here than to the Canterbury plains,we don't get that sea breeze that helps keep the plains bit cooler so those are the days when we tend to fry,winters are much the same though the frosts are a little heavier than the coastal plains

Time to create page: 0.203 seconds