Hiya from Wainuiomata :)

More
10 years 3 months ago #31103 by Jemm
My husband and I have just moved on to a lovely little 4 acre property and inherited 6 sheep (5 ewes and one little ram). We have 2 paddocks fenced up and used for alternating the sheep between the 2 - approx 2 monthly. This is all new to us and I have been busy scouring the forums for info on caring for the sheep and getting rid of gorse.

Am planning on getting out there shortly to attack the gorse - i liked the idea of chopping back and painting the stumps with some sort of gorse killer. Will have to make a quick visit to Sharpes in Lower Hutt to get some.

I am a little panicked about the sheep - not knowing if any are preggers, what I should be feeding them, what I should be looking out for...if i should be seprating the ram from the gals, and what about breeding and genetics (I am thinking here as a townie and the old "thoult shall not marry/have children with your sibling or first cousin etc - lol)

Any advice, info etc will be greatly appreciated - please share as I am sure there is plenty I havent even thought of!!!

Thanking you all in anticipation and lloking forward to being one of the team :)

Jem :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #418681 by Pixc
Replied by Pixc on topic Hiya from Wainuiomata :)
Hiya Jemm! I dont know much about sheep, but im getting very good at killing gorse! Our gorse is upto 3 meters high, and on a hill side. I have found it best to cut at the base, and spray the stump within a minute, with 'Associate', mixed with 'pulse' and 'Been There' stain. I just use the stated mix rate for gorse.Very cost effective for us. It kills slowly but surely. I go back 3-4 months later and spray any regrowth. We are winning the battle, but the war is far from over. I have read the seeds can stay viable for up to 80 years. The bigger gorse trunks make fantastic firewood. Very hot burning.

More
10 years 3 months ago #418721 by Trace
Replied by Trace on topic Hiya from Wainuiomata :)
Welcome to the forum.

More
10 years 3 months ago #418741 by Jen - Featherston
Welcome Jemm, there are a number of Nui-ites here Mich is amazing and has the most gorgy polwarth sheep :)

Sometimes its not only what you say, its the way you say it that counts.

More
10 years 3 months ago #418743 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Hiya from Wainuiomata :)
Hi Jemm - welcome to LSB. Lovely to have another Wainuiomata person on board. There are a few of us here now :D . Have PM'd you.
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
10 years 3 months ago #418849 by Clods
Replied by Clods on topic Hiya from Wainuiomata :)
Welcome to Wainui! We had lots of gorse when we moved here 9 years ago. Its an ongoing battle, but you just need to chip away at it, and eventually you can do a once a year spraying of all the new shoots that come up. I bet you are looking forward to that day! Sorry, don't have sheep, but ask if you need any other help.

2 horses, 15 Chickens, 1 goat, 2 pigs, 1 cat

More
10 years 3 months ago #418981 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Hiya from Wainuiomata :)
In farming, breeding father to daughter that makes a genetic improvement is called "line breeding". If genetic problems happen, then it is called "in breeding". Some very useful developments have happened with line breeding, and some awful problems with in breeding. The second generation (father to granddaughter) tends to be genetically much worse. Thus in your situation I would not be keeping the lambs of this ram to breed from, and I would change the ram for next season.
Most sheep breeds in NZ only mate when the days are getting shorter, so turn the ram into dogmeat or sausages after August.
Because you don't know when the ram went in with the ewes, expect lambs from May until November. If you don't want to be at home every day for all that time next year, put the ram in with the ewes on 15 March and take him out 54 days later on 9 May, so that the lambs will arrive from 15 August until 15 October.
When painting cut gorse stumps it is very important to paint the within 15 minutes of cutting, and use a spray dye. I use Grazon at 1 part to 10 parts of diesel painted on with an old kitchen brush. I spray in autumn with Grazon at 100ml per 15 litres to kill small plants, and also ragwort.

More
10 years 3 months ago #419000 by bevhawkins
Replied by bevhawkins on topic Hiya from Wainuiomata :)
Have an old friend that moved to Wainuiomata a few months ago, she has a 200 acre block there. :D

More
10 years 3 months ago #419055 by Jemm
Replied by Jemm on topic Hiya from Wainuiomata :)
Hiya everyone - thanks heaps for the welcomes and advice! Mich has certainly given me some great tips and being in Wainui as well - lucky me!

I was a bit worried about the Ram - he's only a wee fulla and I think he is either a son of one of the ewes, or a brother?? (I hear them banjos in the distance...!) I didnt realise that you could let them breed with their siblings etc.

I am trying to figure out what breed they are too - will have to get some pics posted and you all can have a look and help me out. I may even have to get Mich up for a coffee one day soon ;)

Ive seen the Ram curling his lip and sniffing the air, and one of ewes in particular (whose bigger than him too - in fact they all are) following him around and butting him...hardcase!
Ive read that ewes need higher protein feed while pregnant - is this JUST in the last month? Ive had a good look at 'em and cant see anything wrong with their hooves, no flies hanging round their butts, or dark spots in their wool. Eyes look nice and bright and have been feeding them an icecream container of sheep pellets every 2nd day...

Will probably move the sheep to the top paddock so I can get in and hack'n'spray the baby gorse in our bottom paddock...would be a good idea to fertilise the grass as well once done?

Anyway - keep on with the advice, tips etc and I feel a lot better knowing Mich and the rest of ya's are all there!

Back to work...

More
10 years 2 months ago #419121 by RhodeRed
Replied by RhodeRed on topic Hiya from Wainuiomata :)

Jemm;416107 wrote:
I was a bit worried about the Ram - he's only a wee fulla and I think he is either a son of one of the ewes, or a brother?? (I hear them banjos in the distance...!)

:D Good luck in the 'nui there!

Attached files
File Attachment:

More
10 years 2 months ago #419314 by Jemm
Replied by Jemm on topic Hiya from Wainuiomata :)
Love the pic! :p

More
10 years 2 months ago #420279 by Geba
Replied by Geba on topic Hiya from Wainuiomata :)
Hi, I am new too, though have been reading for quite a while now. We have a small block over Porirua way and are now knee deep in earnest discussions about roading, trees, drains, weeds, fences, sheep etc etc etc! Having a great time. I spent a few summers on farms in my Yooof and have done most of the routine jobs before - at least part of them - and am now finding out everything I have forgotten along the way, at top speed, eg, how to rig up the drench gun and hang it on the fence and not stand all over the line in the process,'twas much easier in days gone by when someone just gave me the handle bit and said 'squeeze here'...and I'm sure my friend's sheep stood calmly in the race to have their ears tagged and didn't try to shake the tagger into orbit like mine did last week...and I used to look at sheep without doing contorted mental-maths about how much grass versus sheep I was looking at and how many more / less should be in that paddock...
All fun and games!
Cheers to all
'Geba'

Time to create page: 0.205 seconds