sort of new

More
10 years 3 months ago #30926 by mc2631
sort of new was created by mc2631
Have been looking and getting info from this site for 2 years however only joined up a year ago forgot user name and started again.

So I should really introduce myself (ourselves).

We are a young family of five I am the father of 2 beautiful girls 1 little man (my best mate) and a beautiful wife.

We moved to a LSB about a year ago in Hawkes Bay totaling 30 acres, we came from the city with only a couple of years experience in hens and ducks. Now we have raised our own hens and roosters from egg (some roosters for eating), a couple of lambs from the bottle(for breeding) and weaner pigs to porkers putting 1 on the table for pork and selling off the others.

I can not begin to explain the benefits to our family's health and well being from this move cause my typing fingers will get too sore, the animals we raise are really just a bonus and have many plans to start to use all of the 30 acres instead of about 4 currently used.

We would really like to hear from anyone who could offer advice on a better use of the 26 acres left which is about 20 acres of cleared paddock bordering a stream and 6 acres of forest bordering the same stream.

Any ideas welcomed we are not looking to make money just enough to safely support whatever will go into that area.

By the way would recommend this site to anyone considering joining and encourage all people to move to a LSB, however you will have to allow a bit more money for general bills then in a city or town but the pros out way the cons 100%.

Thanks,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #416563 by igor
Replied by igor on topic sort of new
You might consider a couple of dairy cows and/or some dairy goats to supply your milk, butter, and cheese requirements. The calves or kids would provide you with meat and herd replacements. A few sheep would not go amiss if you like mutton or are keen on doing anything with wool. Breeding your own pigs rather than buying in weaners might prove to be a good option.
We have about three acres effective grazing on which we run a cow and a couple of her offspring, a small herd of goats, a few pigs, a few sheep, and assorted chickens and ducks. That, along with my wife's vegetable garden, keeps our supermarket expenditure very low. We do have to buy in some feed for the animals so it may not work out cheaper than buying all our food but at least we know what we are eating, what it ate, and how it died. My wife also makes our bread. On the acreage you have you could come close to self-sufficiency in most things. I will not pretend that the way we live is easy. It is very hard work but we eat well.
You might find John Seymour's book "The Complete Guide to Self-Sufficiency" very helpful. We have. I wish you luck in your endeavours.

More
10 years 3 months ago #416644 by mc2631
Replied by mc2631 on topic sort of new
Thankyou Igor will look it up, we were considering dairy goats or cows just wondering because all the surrounding farms have bulls if cows might be a problem as our side of the stream is not fenced off.
do you know if goats would cross stream? i might have to start a thread with some questions

More
10 years 3 months ago #416784 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic sort of new
Welcome. Probably the most profitable, especially if it is moderately flat and able to be irrigated, would be to grow lucerne and sell hay and balage.
Cows will wade through deep water. Goats don't like getting their feet wet .... that's why they walked over the bridge that the troll lived under :-) ..... but they will if they have to.

More
10 years 3 months ago #417161 by mc2631
Just wondering because the stream borders the flat paddocks weather that would work, also only about 10 acres is flat so could hay or lucerine be planted on hilly land?
Also who would I contact to plant everything or would I have to some how set it all up myself?

More
10 years 3 months ago #417177 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic sort of new
There are quite a few companies that sell seeds, including Ravensdown, that will/might send around an advisor to give you some ideas. Farm contractors will also be able to sort out what needs to be done, but they might not advise on which cultivated varieties should be planted. Our soil is not very compacted so if I ever get a round tuit I will get our seeds sown by direct drilling it. A contractor will also be able to tell you how much can be re-sown.
If the stream is narrow then goats might be able to jump it when the weather is dry, which is when they will be most hungry.

More
10 years 2 months ago #419184 by mikethebike
Replied by mikethebike on topic sort of new
Hi mike you want some ducks? got plenty to spare free if you take the drakes too!
mike

Mike and Suzi living the lifestyle in sunny central hawkes bay, Still loads of animals oh and we still have our Zebra truck.

More
10 years 2 months ago #419188 by mc2631
Hey mike ill get back to you soon just speak to the mrs first and check set up etc

Time to create page: 0.180 seconds