Rural Kirwee

More
10 years 5 months ago #30506 by cottonbush
Rural Kirwee was created by cottonbush
We have just moved to Kirwee not far from Darfield, Canterbury. I would love to hear from people about the climate here. Is it ALWAYS windy???

Lucie :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #411540 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Rural Kirwee
Hi, Lucie -- welcome to the area! We live on the other side of the Waimak, also quite flat like most of Kirwee, and yes, it can often be quite windy. But we have had some quite high winds over the last few days, and that's not the norm. Good thing about the high NW winds is that we usually get a good drink of rain afterwards.

If you haven't already got shelter trees planted on your property, it would be a good thing to get in sooner than later. We get winter winds from the SE, summer winds from the NW and strong, fresh winds (which I find the hardest to cope with) from the NE, and which can chill even the hottest summer day.

More
10 years 5 months ago #411546 by Nora
Replied by Nora on topic Rural Kirwee
NE wind my mum calls the "The Beasterly Easterly"

More
10 years 5 months ago #411579 by Mickee
Replied by Mickee on topic Rural Kirwee
Wind, what wind!!!! [:o)]

Yes I am kidding ........ we live up Gebbies Valley near Motukarara, and sometimes I'm convinced the barn (where we live) is going to blow away, so I think it must be a 'Canterbury' thing. Yep get those shelter trees in and started :)

More
10 years 5 months ago #411607 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Rural Kirwee

Nora;407871 wrote: NE wind my mum calls the "The Beasterly Easterly"

That's a good one, must remember it! That's the wind that cuts through everything. I can work outside in a NW or a Southerly but that NE wind is exhausting.

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds