Are there any Loquat orchards?

More
10 years 5 months ago #30376 by Kloomes
Hi. I'm a scientist that researches natural products and was trying to get some indication of any orchards that grow loquats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #409995 by Stikkibeek
We did have one tree in our orchard, but as the native wood pidgeons were the only partakers, we didn't think it was worth keeping. Loquats do not have a very long "shelf life" either. They need to be eaten the same say they are picked.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
10 years 5 months ago #409996 by reggit
Plenty of non-cultivated ones out there, prolific species [}:)]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
10 years 5 months ago #410008 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Are there any Loquat orchards?
I think that anyone growing commercially would have grafted trees. There are some trials being done on some nice new varieties but they are not commercially available at this stage

More
10 years 5 months ago #410077 by foufee
We have just located one tree on our property but we are not an orchard by production standards just home munching

More
10 years 5 months ago #411698 by Kloomes
Thanks everyone for your replies

More
10 years 4 months ago #411880 by RaeM1
WE have one seedling tree, that is not very big yet, it will be interesting to see if it actually produces here in the Waikato

More
10 years 4 months ago #411917 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Are there any Loquat orchards?
There is one on my property as well and after trying one of it's many "berries?" which I tried after peeling off the skin, it was yuck so the birds got mine too.

More
10 years 4 months ago #412187 by magpiesnest
locquat tree, have a couple to access, it suppose to take a long time to get fruit, so with our two trees, didin't realise they were in fruit, got to ignore them as a hedge or umbrella.
had a great haul this year, have taken fruit off it, de-piped and cleaned then cooked all up, gives lots of liquid. and used the juice for sorbet - yummy
then the fruit part with skin in a loquat crumble - yummy again tastes like apricot a tart bite to it. a bit of a chore to de -pip. I read that the pips can be used like coffee beans. still looking for this recipe - do you dry the beans or what...??
magpie

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds