New to Midcant, red zone refugee

More
10 years 5 months ago #30374 by anaclar
Hi I'm a red zone refugee that has moved to Mid canterbury to fulfill my lifestyle dreams with my two children. I am just starting out and at the moment it's just the kids, a cat and a few chickens. I'm hoping to get a house cow and grow some produce. Glad to have found this site and grateful for any advice
Anna

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #409977 by Andrea1
Hi, Anna - welcome! How much acreage do you have? How much grass/grazing on your place? If I were starting over, I'd probably not get anything other than a neighbour's cattle or sheep to graze off what you have, save any autumn growth for getting livestock in the spring, and see how you go over the winter, which is really just around the corner (yes, it's a ways off, but it does tend to have a habit of creeping up rather quickly!). Perhaps get a few chooks to get my feet wet, so to speak. See what the weather and the seasons throw at you, and how your paddock responds, get some soil and herbage tests to see what they might need, and put some livestock on in the spring. You have plenty of time to get a garden area ready for autumn/winter veggies, and that takes a bit of time if starting from scratch.

Good luck with everything! We don't tend to get as shaky out here. :rolleyes:

More
10 years 5 months ago #409980 by anaclar
Hi Andrea, Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for the advice. I have had the chickens for a while now and they made the move fine, so I guess it's good to stick with them and prepare for winter crops while I research for spring, thanks again for your advice.

More
10 years 5 months ago #409994 by spoook
Welcome Anaclar, I second Andrea's excellent advice. Do not rush into stocking your place.

Let others do it, see how much they have to do to maintain the livestock, see if that is for you.
See what damage they do to the land, how fast the pasture recovers, how many can you sustain etc.

Definately get a garden going and plant trees, if you will have the water, you will be so pleased you did that first when you are out there tending to your own livestock in a year or so.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds