I'm starting a Farm Park

More
10 years 5 months ago #30280 by KingCountryPestControl
Hi everyone.

I'm relatively new to LSB. I run King Country Pest Control as a business on the side (hence name) as well as work part time. I have 2 children aged 3 and 5 and own a house in Piopio. My partner works full time in Waitomo and we have just taken on a venture to open up a farm park in WAITOMO.
We are looking for any unwanted farm animals at this stage. Preferably friendly!
We currently have 4 goats (one of which I have at home and milk by hand, anyone got a cheese recipe???), 3 ewes, 1 gotland pelt ram, 1 arapawa ram, a suffolk x wether, a highland cow, a freisian/hereford weaner bull calf, a highland bull calf, a miniature stallion, a breeding pair of miniature kune kune pigs, 2 kune kune piglets and a handful of chooks. Oh and a random white turkey that has started to hang around the chook pen!
So we have a few animals but are still looking for more!
Our budget at the moment is a little stretched as we are spending it all on fencing materials etc to get it going. So any unwanted or cheap animals that you think may suit us would be great.
Interested in wild bird rehabilitation as well. We have a large patch of bush to release birds into. Same goes for little creatures like hedgehogs or possums, stoats, lizards, frogs! Anything New Zealand! We are also putting in a pond, so will take ducks, geese, swans etc.
We aim to make our farm park more like a sanctuary for animals, a peaceful relaxing environment. Not one where animals are just on display and get neglected and under stimulated. We have plenty of land and room to expand when funds permit.
We plan to build a large walk-in bird aviary and large walk-in rabbit and guinea pig enclosures.
So if you can help in any way, be it an animal that needs rescuing or one that needs retiring, we can take it off your hands and give it a great forever home.
We of course come from farming backgrounds and are knowledgeable in most farming practices! Check out our website for more information about us.

Thanks for reading! And please keep us in mind!

:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #408912 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic I'm starting a Farm Park
Sounds a great idea with the exception of releasing possums in your bush. You won't have many lizards left and run the risk of introducing TB to your cattle. Unless you didn't mean to imply the release of possums. I imagine there are plenty of feral pests around Waitomo anyway.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
10 years 5 months ago #408914 by KingCountryPestControl
Sorry, yes of course, I didn't mean to release possums!!! (have you seen my website???!!!) We are just looking for one to keep in an enclosure for people to learn about them!

More
10 years 5 months ago #408928 by Aria
Replied by Aria on topic I'm starting a Farm Park
Sounds a great venture - wishing you all the best!!

More
10 years 5 months ago #408976 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic I'm starting a Farm Park
I have a pekin duck or two if you are passing this way. They are tame.

More
10 years 5 months ago #409057 by greenfingers
Love your website Leonie!
All the best with your new venture - you sure do offer a lot of services!

9.5 acres with 300-odd pines and lots of wobbly fences [:D]

More
10 years 5 months ago #409077 by kaybe
Replied by kaybe on topic I'm starting a Farm Park
Sounds like you need a couple of alpacas as well ;-)

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
10 years 5 months ago #409097 by lars arsbjorn
Nevermind looking back very good to have this in hand without encumbrances, very much luck

ha det bra, adjø
Lars

( i am from the Scandinavian my translation poorest in english)

More
10 years 5 months ago #409123 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic I'm starting a Farm Park
Do you feel like an ass? .....

If so, then they behave themselves much better in pairs. We have 19, which is far more than you need, but we are a bit far away to loan you a couple. They can be trained to pull carts or to ride, but get bigger ones if you are going to do that.

More
10 years 5 months ago #409313 by KingCountryPestControl

kindajojo;405066 wrote: I have a pekin duck or two if you are passing this way. They are tame.

Hi - I haven't been to Palmy for years and years! But will keep you in mind if we ever do come down that way. Thank you!

More
10 years 5 months ago #409315 by KingCountryPestControl

greenfingers;405153 wrote: Love your website Leonie!
All the best with your new venture - you sure do offer a lot of services!

Thank you! Yes we do! Always good to offer variety. If we can do it, may as well list it! :)

More
10 years 5 months ago #409316 by KingCountryPestControl

kaybe;405176 wrote: Sounds like you need a couple of alpacas as well ;-)

Yes we do! Have a couple lined up in wellsford, auckland. But it's a long way to go to get them! They are however whethers and halter trained and very friendly. So we'll see if we can get up there.

Who knows about transporting them? I know they sit down once moving. What is the best way and vehicle to trasnport them in? Horsefloat, van, box, crate?
Thanks for any feedback about this - :)

More
10 years 5 months ago #409318 by KingCountryPestControl

lars arsbjorn;405204 wrote: Nevermind looking back very good to have this in hand without encumbrances, very much luck

Thank you Lars! All the way from Norway. You must travel over here and visit our park?!

More
10 years 5 months ago #409319 by KingCountryPestControl

LongRidge;405232 wrote: Do you feel like an ass? .....

If so, then they behave themselves much better in pairs. We have 19, which is far more than you need, but we are a bit far away to loan you a couple. They can be trained to pull carts or to ride, but get bigger ones if you are going to do that.

Hehe, yeah we have a couple of them lined up - being donated by a local. And I'm on the waiting list to get a miniature jenny next season. Can't wait!
We will get into carts and things like that when we are set up for something else to do.
We are also thinking about opening a horse trek as well. A friend of mine who organises treks is keen to set up base at our place.
Are donkeys suited to be ridden? I must admit I don't know alot about donkeys. What sort of weight could they carry? Or could they be used to carry packs?

Thanks for any feedback. :)

More
10 years 5 months ago #409338 by foufee
Replied by foufee on topic I'm starting a Farm Park
Our alpacas came by horse truck - one of the horse moving companies but I forget which one - and left by horse float. Not all of them sat down a couple liked to watch the view.

Time to create page: 0.210 seconds