Hello fellow lifestylers!

More
10 years 6 months ago #30182 by Little Bo Peep
Hi Everyone, we have a small acreage in Kaukapakapa. We currently have 2 primary school children, 10 sheep, 4 Pilgrim Geese, 1 Sheltie, 1 long-haired miniature dachshund and 2 cats. We relocated an 1890's villa so we are always very busy! We are interested in Gotland Pelt Sheep and learning to spin, and we are keen organic gardeners.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #407809 by FarmerEms
Replied by FarmerEms on topic Hello fellow lifestylers!
Welcome! I am in Kaukap also :D

I also like the Gotlands! However we settled on the Arapawas for now. We also like the Pitt Islands... Busy busy!

Your house sounds like it would be lovely!

Enjoy the forum

Growing the LSB one kid/lamb/calf/piglet at a time.. [8D]

More
10 years 6 months ago #407829 by Little Bo Peep
Thanks FarmerEms! I like the Arapawas too but was a little worried about the horns! We bought a Gotland Ram a wee while ago and we are in the process of buying and selling to switch some of our ewes to Gotlands. Can't wait for those cute black lambs!

More
10 years 6 months ago #407848 by kaybe
Replied by kaybe on topic Hello fellow lifestylers!
Hi LBP, welcome to the forum. Your place sounds lovely. I'm a fan of coloured sheep too.

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
10 years 6 months ago #407869 by bevhawkins
Hi there, we are in Waitoki, where in KKK are you?

More
10 years 6 months ago #407885 by FarmerEms

Little Bo Peep;403817 wrote: Thanks FarmerEms! I like the Arapawas too but was a little worried about the horns! We bought a Gotland Ram a wee while ago and we are in the process of buying and selling to switch some of our ewes to Gotlands. Can't wait for those cute black lambs!

Yes! But the horns are very cool (my partner is into hunting, so a nice set of horns is a good thing for him[;)]). Have you seen my pictures I have updated of my new ram? Hes only a youngin.

If you get some Gotlands will have to have a look :) Do you have a picture of your ram?

More
10 years 6 months ago #407887 by Little Bo Peep
Thanks Kaybe! Bev I'm in Downer Access Road, up behind the KKK pub, whereabouts in Waitoki are you? Farmer Ems I've attached a photo my Gotland Ram for you...

Attached files [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/403882=9629-Hans the Viking.jpg[/img]

More
10 years 6 months ago #407899 by FarmerEms
Oh he's a good looker! He'll be happy when you get some girls for him! We are up Makarau ways...

More
10 years 5 months ago #408014 by bevhawkins
Hi we are off Rapson Road.

More
10 years 5 months ago #408790 by Belle Bosse
Hi and welcome to your life style block Little Bo Peep.
May you never loose your sheep!!
May you always know where to find them...

That's a lovely photo of your Gotland ram. I am particularly taken with the silver grey Gotlands and have some on my wish list... but have to wait... Got to be patient!!

Mmmm... Memories of the long haired dachshunds; they were so beautiful and such characters.

All the best with your block.

More
10 years 5 months ago #409285 by Little Bo Peep
Thanks Belle Bosse, yes those little dogs with the eyebrows that move independently of each other are so comical. Alas he is a naughty chicken-eater and a pain in the neck to fence in as he's so small!

More
10 years 5 months ago #410200 by chocolatewoolnz

Little Bo Peep;403817 wrote: Thanks FarmerEms! I like the Arapawas too but was a little worried about the horns! We bought a Gotland Ram a wee while ago and we are in the process of buying and selling to switch some of our ewes to Gotlands. Can't wait for those cute black lambs!

What are you planning on doing with the wool from your Gotlands. Ideally Gotlands need to be pre and post lamb shorn. This is because during lambing they can develop breaks in their wool. Also if allowed to have 12 months growth the fleece can become matted and felted. Also Gotlands tend to loose their lustre in their wool with the wool growth during lambing.

86 acres with Gotland, coloured merino and a few white sheep www.chocolatewoolnz.com + 1300 strawberry plants www.gilchriststrawberries.co.nz

More
10 years 5 months ago #410453 by Little Bo Peep
Hi chocolatewoolnz, I would like to keep the fleece and learn to spin, ideally. I haven't got as far as finding out how to go about it as I've only just got my ram, but my Aunt used to spin. Thanks for the advice on shearing, that was one of the questions I had, whether they have different shearing requirements. My existing (non Gotland) ewes are shorn twice a year. I have had some issues getting Gotland ewes though, with the first three ewes I had lined up sold out from underneath me and the second lot ruled out because of footrot. Actually the second lot of people I went to see recommended I just do crosses because they've had so many problems with feet that they wouldn't have done Gotlands if they knew what they knew now. I'm seriously thinking about taking that advice but I would like to have one Gotland ewe in the mix. If she's high maintenance at least there'd only be her and Hans. I'd have to sell the female offspring anyway, though I might keep a wether or two as I've heard their wool is better?

More
10 years 5 months ago #410458 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Hello fellow lifestylers!

Little Bo Peep;403783 wrote: Hi Everyone, we have a small acreage in Kaukapakapa. We currently have 2 primary school children, 10 sheep, 4 Pilgrim Geese, 1 Sheltie, 1 long-haired miniature dachshund and 2 cats. We relocated an 1890's villa so we are always very busy! We are interested in Gotland Pelt Sheep and learning to spin, and we are keen organic gardeners.

Did your goose come home again?

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
10 years 5 months ago #410739 by Little Bo Peep
Sadly no, my goose didn't fly home. I guess we'll never know what happened to her. :(

Time to create page: 0.278 seconds