Homesick kiwi in oz

More
10 years 7 months ago #29731 by rustytruck
Kia Ora,

We are family of six currently living in Queensland but looking to move back to New Zealand next year.

We have 4 acres south of Ipswich and run a fudge/craft/coffee store from an old army barracks at the front of our property. Not enough to live on, but my contribution to the family without having to get a real job. It means I am at home for the kids when they get home from school and don't have to get full time day care.

At the moment we only have a staffy called Too Tired (yep, he's lazy) a cat (Charlie) and a Rainbow Lorikeet (Squarwky). Unfortunately we haven't replaced our chooks since foxes got in the pen just after Queensland's floods earlier in the year, and the pigs (princess fiona and shrek) have found new homes in our freezer. We are putting off restocking until we decide if we will move back to NZ or not.

We have a trip planned for Feb/March for a good look around and I like the sound of up Kerikeri way. I am originally from the West Coast but after 10 years in Australia I think I'm going to want a slightly warmer area of New Zealand.

Hubby works in the mines here and luckily can fly in fly out from NZ on a weekly basis. We haven't decided what to do with our house in Oz yet - looking to possibly rent it out but need to do a fair bit of work to it first. It's one of those typical old weatherboard farm houses where everything seems to need to be done at once. We can live with it... but can't charge someone else rent to live here.

Am looking forward to cooler climates instead of this stifling heat we've got right now. I'd like to have a few chooks, some Dorper sheep, a couple of alpaca's and maybe some angora goats.

Anyway, that's us... I've visited this site often recently and am getting more and more homesick. I just want a nice corner of land somewhere, doesn't have to be flash, to keep bringing up my kids without too much big city influence. Of course, my Australian children haven't been to NZ yet so that is going to be interesting and I think they will love it. Just have to discreetly hide the wallabies and afl jumpers away......

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #402745 by kaybe
Replied by kaybe on topic Homesick kiwi in oz
Hi rustytruck, welcome to the site. At least your chooks will be safe from foxes in NZ (but not stoats, weasels and ferrets!)

There are certainly plenty of places up north where you could live your dream. Is there a max. distance your hubby would be willing to be from the nearest airport? That might affect your choices.

Looking forward to hearing more about your transition and where you eventually choose to settle. All the best.

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
10 years 7 months ago #402780 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Homesick kiwi in oz
Stay where you are rustytruck - this country is screwed!

In the real world, and one of my daughters and partner are in Australia - I totally understand where you are coming from. We have this idealistic vision of what life will be like to raise our children running bare foot and free in NZ but that is crap.

No they will not be worried by red back spiders, snakes etc but the reality is that we have 4 million people total of whom a small percentage are paying all the tax to prop up this country when the Government is ignoring and smiling and pretending that nothing is wrong with this equasion.

Do your homework and take your emotional aspect out of it and figure where your family will be better off. I make no bones about it - I advise every young person I know to get the hell out of here and move to Aussie. At least that is something for you to think about - bar the emotional recollections of what you knew here in NZ.

More
10 years 7 months ago #402783 by feedqueen
Replied by feedqueen on topic Homesick kiwi in oz
thats a bit harsh DiDi, what hope is there if we all move away. Its not all beer and skittles over there either, all my family jumped the ditch years ago and they struggle there too in a different way from we do here . Homesickness is a hard thing to deal with, you have to be where you are happy to be in your heart. Earthquakes and all!

More
10 years 7 months ago #402791 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Homesick kiwi in oz
feedqueen - that is why I said do your homework. NZ is about networking for job opportunities and if you are returning to NZ without that, you may as well bark up a tree.

Yes I agree it is harsh but perhaps you should go onto interest.co.nz and read Bernard Hickey's latest blurb about how the current free market is so wrong. I want to marry the guy (except he is too young for me) and finally, we have someone speaking out about the rort that is the world currency and what the potential outcomes will be.

I have adult children and my heart is with them and what is best for them. NZ is not! To put it more clearly, I have so much knowledge from having the time to investigate "stuff" that I need to walk away or I might turn into the farmer that blew up his car! How many of you knew or took the time to work out what he was talking about in his frustration?

What do we get on our News on any TV station or Radio station? A sound bite. No in depth investigative journalism, no debate - just sound bites of peripheral nonsense.
As they say, "ignorance is bliss" and that is what we have politically in NZ and to be clear, I am not pointing at any one party.

More
10 years 7 months ago #402794 by Farmer53
Replied by Farmer53 on topic Homesick kiwi in oz
i think its great rusty truck wants to 'come home' & I for one welcome them, Its not only harsh didi but very un friendly.

More
10 years 7 months ago #402796 by rustytruck
Replied by rustytruck on topic Homesick kiwi in oz
Thanks Kaybe. Distance from an airport is a major factor as he'd be flying back via Brisbane after nightshift. At the moment we live an hour and a half from Brisbane Airport which is okay. Ideally we'd be looking about the same distance from an international airport - but if we found the right property etc we could look further out as long as connecting flights. I do like the option of Northland but it mightn't be practical in the long term. The other area I'm looking at is the Coromandel region. Btw.... are ferrets and stoats everywhere - and do they eat the chickens or just the eggs?

Didi I do know where you are coming from, and we aren't rushing into this decision by any means. At the moment I'll admit that yes there are a lot of emotional ties pulling me back to New Zealand. Both my parents have died this year and the trip back in February is to buy my mother's ashes so all the renewed contact with extended family and our coinciding holiday is giving me some rose tinted glasses. That being said (and I do have to look at the tax implications) we aren't relying on NZ employment and the exchange rate at the moment makes it an attractive option. In someways I am wanting to have my cake and eat it too.... keep the Australian income etc but enjoy the NZ lifestyle. Housing is more affordable and you don't have the outrageous stamp duties and fees that we have in Australia to buy a property. It is probably one of the reasons we want to keep our house in Queensland. Australia has a lot of things going for it and it is in a better position than most to weather the global financial storms, but it isn't immune either, and I think things are going to get very tough here as well. Where I am was hit by the flooding and it is going to take a long long time before things get back to resembling normal. I think the numerous natural disasters that we have all endured in recent times also sets one to thinking of what is important in life... and what we want to achieve. For me at the moment it is family and just trying to have a simple natural lifestyle. Disjointed rambling but just trying to portray where I'm coming from.

Am really looking forward to my trip back and introducing my children to my home. And I really really will try to take the rose tinted glasses off during my travels. ;o)

More
10 years 6 months ago #402807 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Homesick kiwi in oz
I can see where DiDi is coming from and agree with a lot of her reasoning but the events taking place in Europe and the US's economies currently are primed to blow up taking us all down with it. Baseing future plans on past and present experience is unwise at the very least.

For your situation a commute from NZ for your husband gives you the best of both worlds, good income from mineral extraction (while the current boom lasts) with the potentially low living expenses that living on the land in our benign climate allows. If the Australian economy keeps contracting it won't be a happy place to live and as you well know the environment there is far less forgiving than ours.

I have to admit to local bias but Taranaki has plenty going for it. Our local airport caters for many who commute internationally for oil and mining employment and its 1 hour travelling radius contains some of NZ's best farming land. The sea and mountain provide unlimited outdoor pursuit possibilities, and land prices are still reasonable compared to the likes of the Coromandel (or anywhere within an hour or 2 of Auckland). And if things get too dire we can cut off the natural gas supply to the upper North Island again and have enough to last us decades [;)]

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
10 years 6 months ago #402816 by rustytruck
Thanks Organix, I have to admit I don't know much of the North Island at all. I used to live in Masterton many many years ago and spent some time also at Kawau Island up near Warkworth, but that's about the limit of it really. The north island stint of our trip home is starting in Auckland, going up to Kerikeri, down through Thames and the Coromandel to Tauranga, down to Rotorua and Waitomo to do the touristy thing, have a side trip planned to Dannevirke and then Raetihi for the ashes burial. We have plenty of time and are just really going to roam otherwise. If you were looking at Taranaki - small rural town with good schools and vege growing conditions where would you look? Be nice if it has that ärty" feel... and maybe a tourism focus. Our current town has a population of 1200 but we live out on the outskirts so don't live in town. South Island is also an option, but probably favoring the north at the moment. Maybe Nelson/Malborough....

The mining boom here is ridiculous and it has to burst at some time. Hubby already flies up to a mining town about an hour and a half from Brisbane and we did look at relocating there but the rents have blown out to the most horrendous amounts and even with employer subsidies I just cán't justify spending that kind of money on a house that isn't ours. The poor locals can't afford to live there any more, it has gone beyond ridiculous with no sign of waning. He is pretty safe in his job on a long term basis.... but then again... in current financial climate..... who can really say their job is safe?

More
10 years 6 months ago #402817 by Organix
If you're travelling as far down SH3 as Waitomo how about heading to the Manawatu or Raetihi via the 'Naki ? The area north of New Plymouth from Watara to Urenui has some nice acreages with the Urenui area having a warm microclimate due to the shelter from the hill country inland to the south. Watara has schooling to high school level though some social issues from its ex-freezing works past. Airport is 10 minutes from Waitara, or 20-25 minutes from Urenui. Great fishing off this area, or as far North as Mokau if you want to haul a boat that far. Hunting in the hill country.

New Plymouth is 3 hours from Hamilton or 2 hours from Wanganui so a little isolated but nothing compared to the distances travelled on Aussie and it does keep the rif-raf out to some degree [;)] Some of the best parks and gardens in NZ and plenty of events based in New Plymouth too including WOMAD and other music at the Bowl of Brooklands.

NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
10 years 6 months ago #402856 by rustytruck
Aaah the isolation doesnt worry me in the least.... prefer it.... and its a good way of keeping separate from any social issues in town. We pretty much keep to ourselves, I'm not overly social but have to force myself to be nice to people to sell them fudge! At least I know that customers go home eventually. And yes I am so used to travelling long distances here that driving round New Zealand will be a breeze (except for maybe your fuel costs). Is New Plymouth where they grow all the gorgeous rhododendrans (sorry for spelling)?

I'm not really too keen on anywhere within an hour or so from Auckland... but I have to take in that added travel for hubby. Unfortunately it is often cheaper to fly from Australia to NZ than regionally within NZ. My flights in February cost me under $800 AUD for five people RETURN and that included extra costs for more leg space and luggage etc.

More
10 years 6 months ago #402879 by Organix

rustytruck;398365 wrote: Aaah the isolation doesnt worry me in the least.... prefer it.... and its a good way of keeping separate from any social issues in town. We pretty much keep to ourselves, I'm not overly social but have to force myself to be nice to people to sell them fudge! At least I know that customers go home eventually. And yes I am so used to travelling long distances here that driving round New Zealand will be a breeze (except for maybe your fuel costs). Is New Plymouth where they grow all the gorgeous rhododendrans (sorry for spelling)?

I'm not really too keen on anywhere within an hour or so from Auckland... but I have to take in that added travel for hubby. Unfortunately it is often cheaper to fly from Australia to NZ than regionally within NZ. My flights in February cost me under $800 AUD for five people RETURN and that included extra costs for more leg space and luggage etc.

Check out the link above, from the link in previous post :)

More
10 years 6 months ago #402907 by A Nasty Scar
Replied by A Nasty Scar on topic Homesick kiwi in oz

going up to Kerikeri

I am up that way, 'tis a nice place to live but land is pretty expensive for what you get...

Kerikeri itself tends to generate very polarised opinions, people either love it or hate it for various reasons

I hope you find a spot which ticks all your boxes

More
10 years 6 months ago #402916 by rustytruck
Thanks Organix, I didn't realise it was a link in the previous post. Very very good website, wish more regions had something like this.

I hope so too Nasty Scar... I'm pretty open minded about regions and am looking forward to having a good look around. There are some family links to the region and i have a cousin currently living on the Karikari Peninsular near where the fires are at the moment. Unfortunately I'm probably looking to rent until we decide to sell our Queensland property and with any decent land that's a little bit more difficult. But we'll see... lots to look at and lots to think about. ;o)

More
10 years 6 months ago #402918 by Organix

rustytruck;398429 wrote: Thanks Organix, I didn't realise it was a link in the previous post. Very very good website, wish more regions had something like this.

I hope so too Nasty Scar... I'm pretty open minded about regions and am looking forward to having a good look around. There are some family links to the region and i have a cousin currently living on the Karikari Peninsular near where the fires are at the moment. Unfortunately I'm probably looking to rent until we decide to sell our Queensland property and with any decent land that's a little bit more difficult. But we'll see... lots to look at and lots to think about. ;o)

Good way to suss out a region before committing to buying. Been there, done that :)

Time to create page: 0.254 seconds