New, from the Far North

More
10 years 9 months ago #398657 by Vindictivemob

Ronney;393700 wrote: Hi and welcome to the Far North

with the exception of the Paradise.

I would also just like to point out that I am not new to the Far North. I have lived up here all my life and Parries are actually a type of goose.
Cheers. VM

You can lead a dog to water, but you can't make him a horse

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago #398681 by igor
Replied by igor on topic New, from the Far North
Are parries not, technically speaking, a shelduck, something between a duck and a goose?

More
10 years 9 months ago #398694 by Lindeggs
Replied by Lindeggs on topic New, from the Far North
Paradise ducks are a goose?! [:0]

Next you'll be telling me that lemon honey doesn't contain honey! [:0]

Oh wait...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Missing my lovely chooks

More
10 years 9 months ago #398740 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic New, from the Far North

Lindeggs;393744 wrote: Paradise ducks are a goose?! [:0]

Next you'll be telling me that lemon honey doesn't contain honey! [:0]

Oh wait...

:D :D that made me laff.. thanks

More
10 years 9 months ago #398742 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic New, from the Far North
vindictivemob.. a thought on your wee turkey girl..when i last saw Inger ( shes up Russell way ).. she had a gobbler and a girl turkey.. maybe she would have some furtile eggs for your girl to sit on.. or maybe someone else up that way..
i wouldnt want to be taking eggs from a nest personally...
gosh i was spraying in the paddock on the weekend and when i was walking back thru i found a puke nest, narrowly escaped being run over by bike.. mum was no where to be seen, but they were warm and i knew she was around somewhere.. sure enough, 20min later she was back on the nest... so they are not always ' abandoned'

More
10 years 9 months ago #398781 by Vindictivemob
Hi Stephclark. I guess that's the difference between us. I take a couple of pukeko eggs and you spray paddocks.
Paradise shelducks have been around since the dinasaur days. They are a type of goose. Not a duck. They are different to most other birds in that the girls are the ones with the white head. Hope I havn't offended anyone by stating the facts and being an egg thief :lol:

More
10 years 9 months ago #398784 by Vindictivemob
Does it quack or does it honk? Think about it guys

More
10 years 9 months ago #398906 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic New, from the Far North

Vindictivemob;393838 wrote: Paradise shelducks have been around since the dinasaur days. They are a type of goose. Not a duck. They are different to most other birds in that the girls are the ones with the white head. Hope I havn't offended anyone by stating the facts and being an egg thief :lol:

The Paradise is not a goose or a type of goose. It belongs to the Order: Anseriformes (duck-like birds), Family: Anatidae (swans, geese and ducks), Subfamily: Tardoninae and Genus: Tardona. It is normally seen as somewhere between a duck and a goose but as a species, it is neither. The orthinological and Latin name for the Paradise is Tardorna variegata and is the only Shelduck we have other than an Australian vagrant bird which looks very similar.

Vindictivemob;393838 wrote: Hi Stephclark. I guess that's the difference between us. I take a couple of pukeko eggs and you spray paddocks.

Um, what? Are you saying that interfering with the nests of native birds just to make your turkey hen feel better about herself is more acceptable than spraying a paddock. I don't think so and now I am frowning:(

I have Goose (her name is Goose) here with no gander. Every year she lays eggs, every year she sits on them religiously and every year they go rotten. The one time Ruth and myself put a setting of Muscovey eggs under her was a bloody disaster. Let the Pukes rear their own and follow Stephs very good advice and contact Inger to get some right eggs for the right bird.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
10 years 9 months ago #398909 by Vindictivemob
Well, you guys keep frowning and spraying your paddocks. That's your choice. I'm happy doing what I do. If you expect me to travel to Russel to steel turkey eggs from Ingers birds, then you are dreaming. There are litteraly hundereds of pukekos on our 140acre block and the amount of pukekos swans ducks and parries that would be killed if I wasn't doing preditor control would be tragic, so taking 2 eggs doesn't make me feel bad. Thanks for the info on the Shelduck. Quakhonk

More
10 years 9 months ago #398913 by clarry
Replied by clarry on topic New, from the Far North

Vindictivemob;393974 wrote: Well, you guys keep frowning and spraying your paddocks. That's your choice. I'm happy doing what I do.Quakhonk

Good onya Mate

Not all of us are frowning :rolleyes:

More
10 years 9 months ago #398921 by Vindictivemob
Thanks Clarry. I thought people would have been interested. Never mind. I'm not frowning either mate.

More
10 years 9 months ago #398937 by GloPony
Replied by GloPony on topic New, from the Far North
I'm not frowning (completely indifferent actually) but am curious... pukekos are wetland birds & turkeys are not. As someone mentioned earlier, the vast behavioural differences between the two species may cause a problem.

I have no issues with you taking pukeko eggs but I'm curious as to why? There are millions of wild turkeys around in Northland too, why not wild turkey eggs? I just can't see a turkey teaching a puke wading behaviour, etc & wonder if all you'll perpetuate is a lot of confused birds?

More
10 years 9 months ago #398954 by igor
Replied by igor on topic New, from the Far North
Have you tried eating pukeko eggs VM? As you imply they are not a threatened species, indeed they may be hunted in season, so what is the problem with harvesting a few eggs for whatever purpose?

More
10 years 9 months ago #399131 by Vindictivemob
Hi GloPony and Igor. As I have 2 dozen duck eggs to eat, I have no need to eat the pukeko eggs. Don't get me wrong, I would if I was hungry and I do hunt waterfowl in the season, but I only shoot pukekos when I am having a hangi. That's the best way to cook them. I don't go crazy on shooting wild ducks etc. I just take out a few drakes. When there are too many drakes, they tend to drown the girls with their horrific mating style. Same with the wild turkeys. I just shoot a few gobblers. When their are too many, they kill the babies so that the turkey hens come back on heat and let the gobblers back in again. As my turkey is very tame, she will be bringing her babies up with the chooks where I can keep a good eye on them. When they are old enough, the pukekos will naturally know to go and do what pukekos do. I live next to the main Takahue river and have small streams running through my property. There are wild pukekos here so it must be a nice place for them to live. As my turkey was brought up with ducks, she isn't shy to visit the river. Hope that answers your questions? Feel free to ask if there is anything I have missed. VM

More
10 years 9 months ago #399207 by KaiparaEcoVill
Hi Victor
For the Turkey you love I'm happy to make an exception but I have gone off Pukeko - the less eggs hatched the better - they are a very destructive pest in our community garden. Of course I'd change my mind if there were not so many of them around here.

At the moment it is the pheasants that are rapidly taking over!

Golden Wyandottes - Inigo (the rooster), Seraphina, Subie, Winnie, Nannie, Amber and Izzie (the hens). Dexter Cattle - Sedge (the bull), Lily (the matriarch), Buttercup, Myrtle, Marigold, Hyacinth and Orchid (the cows).

Time to create page: 0.224 seconds