newB

More
10 years 8 months ago #29234 by Fairy Tern
newB was created by Fairy Tern
Hi all. I own a block of land in Kaiwaka that is 7 hecteres, over half of it is in Covnented bush the other half is blackberry/gorse/bad grass. We are in a very dry and very windy position, but love our new dirt. We are on a total learning curve as my partner lived in the south island with really good soil and great growing conditions and I have no experiecne at all in farming. We have a heading dog that is 9 months old and that thinks that chasing a stick is how a dog works on the farm, a Kitten that thiunks she is in charge of all the other animals including our two goats and two calfs.
The learing curve is very steep and scary sometimes and i have quite often been sent to this website for answers to my qustions. So i thought i should join to get all the help i can! cheers[:I]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago #397637 by Aria
Replied by Aria on topic newB
Sounds like a gorgeous spot that will keep you busy for years!!! :) .

Depending on the size/age of your gorse - we have been delighted with the heat at which the mature gorse wood burns! :D

Welcome and have lots of fun!

More
10 years 8 months ago #397693 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic newB
Firewood is probably not needed in Kaiwaka, but old gorse does burn really well. Save the big bits for barbeque fires or the stove.
We like to help, but remember that our suggestions are based on experience and study. If you want "advice" then you have to pay someone for that, so "we" don't give advice.

More
10 years 8 months ago #397802 by igor
Replied by igor on topic newB
LR it does get cold in Northland sometimes. It is most pleasant to sit around a roaring fire on a Winter's evening there. As many have mentioned gorse is excellent firewood but as it is a very hard and dense timber it also makes good tool handles.

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds