Baby Lamb

More
10 years 9 months ago #28917 by KelseyU
Baby Lamb was created by KelseyU
Hello everyone.

I had a baby lamb and it was fine for the first 3 weeks. I have bottle feed lambs before when I was young but this time something went worng, as I went out to it this morning and she had died. I was feeding it cows milk with an egg and glucose. I am on a dairy farm so cows milk was the easyest to get hold of. I have now been told that I shouldnt of been using cows milk but goats milk instead. Is this true? I have used cows milk before with my other lambs and they where fine, but this little one, which was a health little lamb just curled over.
Would it of been the cows milk or just a sick little lamb from the start.
My little boy isnt very happy with loosing his little lamb and I dont want to get another one and feed it cows milk if that was the case.
If anyone knows if it would of been the cows milk that would be great to let me know.

Thanks Kelsey

Kels

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago #394145 by kaybe
Replied by kaybe on topic Baby Lamb
Hi Kelsey, so very sorry to hear about your lamb, and your sad little boy.

I don't know about the cows' milk but I'm sure there is someone who will. I think cows' milk isn't as high in fat as sheep milk, but the egg should have helped.

How much was she drinking at each feed, and how much altogether per day?

Do you know if she got colostrum, and did she or mum have vaccinations done?

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
10 years 9 months ago #394148 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Baby Lamb
Sometimes they die. I had a supremely healthy lamb last year which suddenly keeled over within a few hours with what appeared to be a blockage in her gut (a lay-person's post-mortem examination finding). They'll die of all manner of things. If she didn't get enough colostrum at the start she'd have been at risk and also if her mother wasn't vaccinated pre-lambing. Last year was my first year using cow's milk only for the lambs. It's different from ewe milk, but lots of people use it for lambs and they grow perfectly healthily on it. I too have used egg in lamb feeds in the past without ill effect. I doubt you did anything particularly wrong; it's just one of those unfortunate life lessons for any of us.

More
10 years 9 months ago #394152 by KelseyU
Replied by KelseyU on topic Baby Lamb
Hi

Thanks. Im not sure if they had vaccinations as we got given the lamb by our neighbour, they found her on the side of the road by itself.
She was eating plenty of food, we were feeding her at least every 4 hours and she was going through about a pump bottle of milk each time. Colostrum no I dont think she would of theres my problem isnt it, never thought of that, poor wee thing. So use to cows now,

Cheers, yeah just one of those things then, oh well next time hopfully we can keep it alive for more than a month

Kels

More
10 years 9 months ago #394153 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Baby Lamb
:( Sorry to hear about your lamb Kelsey ..don't blame the cows milk ...I have used it for years (with and without glucose ..I have never put an egg in it tho") and cows milk raised lambs do just fine :) more than likely she did not have the ewes colostrum at birth which sadly can mean the babies get sick fast without the antibody protection given through the colostrum..
Also overfeeding in one feed can cause them to die as well ...I tend to feed little and often (like their mum ) rather than trying to get the required amount in just a couple of big feeds
Welcome to LSB ...sad way to arrive but hopefully you will come and share happier stuff :)

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
10 years 9 months ago #394155 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Baby Lamb
Hi KelseyU and welcome. have a read of this site . It may help.

It is sad when one of our charges dies for no apparent reason, even more so for young children

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
10 years 9 months ago #394159 by hilldweller
Replied by hilldweller on topic Baby Lamb

KelseyU;388685 wrote:

She was eating plenty of food, we were feeding her at least every 4 hours and she was going through about a pump bottle of milk each time.

Sorry to hear you lost your lamb. What size pump bottle? You may have been over feeding her.

hilldweller

More
10 years 9 months ago #394160 by KelseyU
Replied by KelseyU on topic Baby Lamb
Thanks,
um it was a pump mini bottle, so about 300mls but I would full it to about 3/4.
She was bleating last night before we went to bed, but she would of stopped about 11.
I had a feeling something was up last night, but what can you do, I cant afford a vet for a lamb. I just hope the poor wee thing went fast,

Kels

More
10 years 9 months ago #394164 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Baby Lamb
One of my lambs, a very good one, died last night, and not of Pulpy Kidney because he didn't go stiff quickly and blow up.
Did yours? If so then probably PK. But there are lots of other ways for lambs to die.
It is very important to not increase the size of the lambs feed suddenly. Milk is digested in the abomasum which is a different stomach to the rumen where the grass gets digested. There is a little valve that sends the milk the right way, because if it goes into the rumen, the bugs in there can have a party on the sugar in the milk and kill the lamb. You adding extra sugar (glucose is a sugar) to the milk makes this more likely. When a lamb starts eating solids at about 7 days, it's time to not add extra sugar to the milk, in case the milk spills or overflows into the rumen.
I was told to never give raw eggs. They are often contaminated by food poisoning bacteria. Even if they aren't, the white contains a substance that stuffs up the glucose-to-energy conversion cycle (it is called avidin).
Neither goats milk nor cows milk has as much fat as sheeps milk. If I were raising lambs on raw cows milk then I would skim some of the household milk and put that cream into the milk for the lamb. But I have not tested that theory .....

Time to create page: 0.227 seconds