How much to charge for grazing?

More
10 years 9 months ago #28896 by howdy
Hi I've been letting a farmer run some sheep on my paddocks and although he dropped a bottle of wine off, we weren't sure what the going rate is for fattening his sheep! I'm not trying to make money - but I don't want to be taken advantage of either! Any advice?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago #393899 by dj_fitzm
Hi Howdy,
Please let me know as well. The vendor who is selling us 10 acres wants to graze his sheep while we are planning our build. So any advice here will be appreciated.

More
10 years 9 months ago #394020 by Cinsara
I am interested in the outcome of this as well, maybe you could post it in the "Your Place" discussion group, you'll get lot's more foot traffic there :-)

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
10 years 9 months ago #394026 by eelcat
We lease land for our cows and perhaps pay over the going price, but we pay the owner's rates - 14 acres = $163/month but this is M/borough and it is close to town, and does have water.

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
10 years 9 months ago #394200 by kindajojo
How much land are we talking, are we talking 20. or 200 sheep can you weigh up the value of keeping the grass under control to avoid future fire risk, your neighbours good will (which you will need ) and the bottle of wine v $000.

What about "thanks for keeping the grass down do you mind running the tractor over and topping the rank grass"
Do you have any hay available
When we were short of Hay last year a neighbour gave us a BIG round bale ( nah dont worry about payment ...just buy me a beer ... .......

More
10 years 9 months ago #394216 by howdy
Thanks for the advice - sound stuff...I posted it on "your place" as suggested and there's quite a few answers...from 25 cents a week to $3! But everyone is right, we're not in it for money so you scratch my back etc seems the best and cordial approach - and something for the freezer one day wouldn't go amiss! Thanks again!

More
10 years 8 months ago #394473 by KelseyU
Hi There

We charge $12 a week for grazing a horse on our place, so just under $50 a month, but it also comes with the hay which is in the shed for her to use up, and she checks on our cows as well. Durring the winter we will drop the rate if she can feed our cows hay as well.

I know sheep and horses are completely different but hope it gives you some kind of guide line. We also pay $30 a month to keep 5 of our cows up the road, but they are running free with the farmers cows.

Kels

More
10 years 8 months ago #394480 by LongRidge
Up until this year, grazing cattle has been worth about 50c per day for us to graze our cows elsewhere. So if you are paying $30 for 5 cows you are doing well. $30 each is dairy grazing rates.

More
10 years 8 months ago #394506 by stephclark

KelseyU;389053 wrote: Hi There

We charge $12 a week for grazing a horse on our place, so just under $50 a month, but it also comes with the hay which is in the shed for her to use up, and she checks on our cows as well. Durring the winter we will drop the rate if she can feed our cows hay as well.

oh my.. its been more than 1/4 century since i have seen grazing rates (horse ) like that.. crikey i have neighbours charging and getting anywhere from $35/week thru to $50/week.. at the lower end, its heres the paddock and the grazers are left to it, sort out own water etc the works..

:D .. doesnt help i know.. just surprised at $12/week..

More
10 years 8 months ago #394514 by KelseyU
Hey Stephclark

I must admit that it is not the best land to keep a horse but it is in the middle of town pretty much. It is al so council land so we just make sure that we cover our bill every month, it was an ex rubbish dump about 20 years ago but we have cleaned it all up since then. It is about 5 arches and the horse has all the land to its self atm. gesss $35-50 a week, wow I might have to reconsider what im charging then. She is a good mate of ours and she has been grazing on that land for over 8 years now and the rate has just stayed the same. Might be time to put it up a little, gives me something to think about thanks :)

Kels

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds