New to this land thing

More
10 years 9 months ago #28865 by Minstrel
Hi everyone, we have been on our 4ha land since March 2010 and are slowly working at it. We have started from scratch with a new home built on bare land. We didn't do much initally through last winter and then a new baby born in October. We did get lawn irrigation and a lawn done tho.
This winter we have planted trees and have got the vege gardens in and ready to plant. Learning slowly but enjoying it immensely :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago #393653 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic New to this land thing
hi Minstrel, we used to live in Prebbleton, many years ago lol.

Lovely little community although I gather it has grown a bit.

Welcome to the site.

Hope the shakes are no too bad out there, my daughter is in ChCh so I can sympathise with the stress.

More
10 years 9 months ago #393654 by mandy_moo31
Replied by mandy_moo31 on topic New to this land thing
Hiya, welcome, i am new to this also! very helpful site and helpful ppl. have you got any livestock yet Minstrel? Lovely new house would be nice, we have move to a house with 4.1 acres just enough for a few calves, lambs, chooks and baby goat (Yip i'm prob mad) babies everywhere in this house. Maddness at meal time :-)

More
10 years 9 months ago #393900 by dj_fitzm
Replied by dj_fitzm on topic New to this land thing
Hi Minstrel, we are currently closing on our 4 ha as well in West Melton. Not building yet, leaving it for a year or so. I am wanting to get my trees, landscaping etc in first. I can understand everything goes to a standstill with a new baby. We are currently planning another one! Good luck with your gardens!

More
10 years 9 months ago #394049 by Minstrel
Replied by Minstrel on topic New to this land thing

kindajojo;388140 wrote: hi Minstrel, we used to live in Prebbleton, many years ago lol.

Lovely little community although I gather it has grown a bit.

Welcome to the site.

Hope the shakes are no too bad out there, my daughter is in ChCh so I can sympathise with the stress.

Has grown a bit and sure to some more with the need to open up more land to accomodate those that have lost their homes. A 4.0 shake between here and Rolleston didn't wake me on Tuesday night....must be used to it lol
Thx for the welcome :)

mandy_moo31;388141 wrote: Hiya, welcome, i am new to this also! very helpful site and helpful ppl. have you got any livestock yet Minstrel? Lovely new house would be nice, we have move to a house with 4.1 acres just enough for a few calves, lambs, chooks and baby goat (Yip i'm prob mad) babies everywhere in this house. Maddness at meal time :-)

Hi Mandy Moo, yeah finding the site really informative and everyone is so nice and helpful. Nope no animals yet, my neighbour has some cows in our paddock tho ! Was keen on some chooks but have been kinda put off. There are some down the road and I regularly walk past and man do they PONG ! Will have to get the kid a pet lamb when he gets a bit older, the local school has an annual pet day, country kids have every kinda pet you can imagine so cant send him along with his goldfish now can I :D
Got your vegies going yet ?

dj_fitzm;388415 wrote: Hi Minstrel, we are currently closing on our 4 ha as well in West Melton. Not building yet, leaving it for a year or so. I am wanting to get my trees, landscaping etc in first. I can understand everything goes to a standstill with a new baby. We are currently planning another one! Good luck with your gardens!

*GROAN* its such a big job, AND we spent the landscaping budget on the house so you're probably smarter than me and right to do it first !
LOVED building tho so exciting to plan it and then see it take shape. I work in the building industry so feel free to pick my brains anytime.
Congratulations on your new land, what plans do you have for it ?

More
10 years 9 months ago #394120 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic New to this land thing
Welcome Minstrel. We are new to this LSB thing too. Our parents did it for 10 years or so, and then we started 20 years ago, but there is something new every day.

Time to create page: 0.217 seconds