New Member with baby animal problems

More
10 years 9 months ago #28853 by mandy_moo31
Hi everyone, i am a new member but have been reading your messeges and advice on certian subjects that have been relivent to my problems. I am a city girl who has moved to the country, we have 6 murrey grey calves 4 pet lambs 1 kid (goat) and 18 chickens, 8 of witch are chicks and the other's we saved from a battery farm. Currently having problems with scours in calves and lambs, giving scourband but one lamb is walking funny and making a screaming like noise after her bottle. I suspect she has a sore tum with a very runny bottom, mustard like watery poo's! any advice please! thanks, Amanda

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago #393425 by Sue
Hi and welcome mandy moo31,
I see you are in Levin as well. First of all I would tend to give the scouring lamb just Electroytes(like Dexolyte) in water nstead of milk and her Scourban, for 24 hours and let her tum settle down.
If you are having scour troubles in both calves and lambs perhaps you have an infection such as Rotavirus going through them I would be very tempted to get vet advice and treatment before you wait much longer. Young animals with scours can go downhill very quickly.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
10 years 9 months ago #393428 by Ghilly
I'd get the vet to look at them as well. Screaming AFTER a bottle isn't favourable.... screaming BEFORE a bottle, pretty normal. Animals don't usually make a fuss like that unless there's something wrong.
My experience with baby's after they've had a bottle (goats mainly) is that they will either have a wee bounce around and then have a sleep or just curl up somewhere and have a sleep, especially if they happen to be on your lap[:I]:rolleyes:

Good luck with your babies, hope it's all sorted soon, not much fun for you or them.

Yakut

More
10 years 9 months ago #393431 by mandy_moo31
Thanks for advice, we have been using the electrolites (sp) but the screaming one doesn't seem to like it much so have added alittle milk powder to make it taste beta, the screaming seems to have stopped but the scouring hasen't, we are debating how much to be feeding them, as of today it's been 250ml 4 times daily? we have cut them back to 150mls 3 times but they don't like it. I'm so new to this mayb i am over feeding or starving them. as for the calves scouring it is a new one we got from the sales on tues, she is separated from the other's in another stable i think she has prob been taken off the mum to early cos has no idea how to suck. Vet has given anti-biotic's to calf. Makes me so mad some farmers just want rid of these babies!! Thanks for the advice folks.

Amanda

More
10 years 9 months ago #393442 by kaybe
Hi and welcome Amanda. How old are the lambs? 450ml a day is not enough unless you are trying to wean them. There should be a chart on the milk powder bag which tells you how much and how often to feed, although most people here will agree that smaller feeds more often is better than 2 or 3 big feeds - but the total per day should still ad up to the same. These are the recommendations for Anlamb from Longridge from a previous thread:

Days 2-4, 6 feeds of 20g powder and 100 GRAMS water
Days 5-8, 6 feeds of 30g powder and 150 GRAMS water
Days 9-14, 5 feeds of 40g powder and 200 GRAMS water
Weeks 3-7, 4 feeds of 50g powder and 250 GRAMS water
Weeks 8-9, 4 feeds of 40g powder and 200 GRAMS water
Weeks 10-11, 4 feeds of 30g powder and 150 GRAMS water
Week 12, 4 feeds of 20g powder and 100 GRAMS water.

Make sure you are doing a good job of cleaning all the milk mixing equipment, bottles and teats, just like you would for a human baby.

I can't help you with the calf I'm afraid, as I've never raised a calf. I'm guessing it may not have got colostrum to develop its immune system.

Good luck with your babies, I hope they come right.

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
10 years 9 months ago #393443 by mandy_moo31
Oh thanks so much, we were giving 250mls per feed 4 times daily (as the lady told us that's what she been giving them who we got them from) they had runny bums when we got them, the milagins milk powder says 250mls 3 times day per feed. Have been giving electrolites 3 times daily with scourband, it's only really the one who doesn't seem happy, although baa's and wants food. Hmmmm!! all these babies make me a nervous wreak as i would hate for anything to happen to them. :) thanks for advise!
Amanda

More
10 years 9 months ago #393447 by Sue
The scouring in the calf may be just the change of food and environment. If it won't suck the bottle it may be due to the fact it has been fed by a cow until the sale and is not taking to the rubber teat, or made up milk.
Have you got much into it since it came on Tuesday? Has it been on electolyte and scourban as well?
Obviously the vet has seen it if it is on antibiotics-what did they say about feeding?

Calves only need colostrum for 24 hours, after that they cannot utilise it as well and must be 4 days old before being sold, with a dry navel. Calves that will not suck are either ill or have got used to a cows teat. As it is already probably a week old, how have you managed to feed it so far? Has it been stomach tubed?

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
10 years 9 months ago #393457 by mandy_moo31
Hiya Sue, Horrrahh she sucked on the bottle tonight, guzzled the bottle, chased us wanted more. Vet said may have infection so gave anti-bio just in case, she has perked up so guess she is feeling beta, what a releif! had to get a tube feeder last wed to get electrolite down her and today is the first time we tried her back onto milk. Hopefully onwards and upwards from here, we have not had the v gd luck with calves, one of out 6 murrey greys that are 6 wks old has hurt her leg and has suspected nerve damage to her hind leg, cannot stand, falls over, it was looking like we would have to put her down, we are on the 2nd week i can't bear to put her down, she is slowly showing progress but curls her toes under and cant stand and balance, we are trying so hard to help her, she is so bright eyed and bushy tailed, wants milk, eats grass, musli wet shinny nose she just can't walk and seems to have no feeling in her back legs, it's so frustrating as we have fallen in love with her. :-)

More
10 years 9 months ago #393485 by MoretonFarm
Hi mandy_moo31
I have raised up to 270 calves a few years ago (with a very very low death percentage), and baby goats and lambs etc.
Instead of electrolytes you can also brew some black tea (let it steep for around 5 minutes) and 1 teaspoon of sugar plus 1 teaspoon of salt per litre of tea. the black tea contains a lot of tannins and that helps to stop the scours, too.
I would also advise you especially now that the girl gets antibiotics, add a teaspoon to a tablespoon of plain yoghurt in the milk, the acidophilus helps grow the right bacteria. Now when we have baby lambs/goats I usually add a teaspoon of yoghurt into their milk as a preventative measure and it seems to work.
It is also a good idea when you get these little ones to start off for a day or two to start off with a slightly diluted milk-mix. Don't forget, where there is livestock, unfortunately sometimes there is going to be dead stock as well, so don't feel disheartened if it happens one day! I'm convinced you are doing a wonderful job!

Sounds you are over the worst anyway, I wish you a lot of enjoyment with your babies! They are soo much fun! We have none this year, the first time in ages! :-)

More
10 years 9 months ago #393513 by mandy_moo31
Oh thanks for advise, i have read about the acidophilus yogart but not spoken to anyone who has tried it, it's on my shopping list for today! as for the black tea, what a great idea (cheap too) it gets quite expensive buying all these electrolites, scourband etc plus the milk powder our return for the cows won't really be any profit now, not that it really matters. Because i have such small numbers they all have personalitys and i know each one and they know me. Has anyone got any thoughts on my disabled calf, she is my biggest worry at the moment! should i be forcing her to stand and walk, can't do any harm can it? She wants to walk she just has no balance, she litrally chased me (wobbly with my husband holding her up) but how long do we keep going like this? we think she shows improvement but then she goes backwards again. thanks folks for comments, big help. :-)

More
10 years 9 months ago #393525 by Sue
Good to hear the non sucker has decided to suck-should be no holding her now!
Has the vet seen the wobbly one?
How long has it been like that, I wonder if it is a deficiency of some sort-maybe selenium. Vet should be able to advise. A pinched nerve in a calf sounds a bit unusual, unless it was bunted or fell awkwardly-they are pretty robust sort of things.

Don't get dismayed over the difficulties, sounds like they are getting the right care and attention and should come right. The costs are scary to start with but remember beef prices are good and they will be worth megabucks when they grow up.;-)

Depends where you are but send me a PM and perhaps we could meet up face to face for a chat and a coffee!

Sue

More
10 years 9 months ago #393561 by LongRidge
If I had the animals here, then I too would be adding a tiny bit of both selenium and iodine to the milk, because both are very low here. If either are low where you are, then phone the vet tomorrow and ask about both. In humans, iodine is very important for brain development, so maybe it is in animals too. In animals, selenium is very important for muscle development.

More
10 years 9 months ago #393841 by mandy_moo31
Hi all, my wobbly calf doesn't seem to be getting beta, the vet nurse looked up comments from the vet and seems to think she has black foot! Does anyone know anything about this disease? I asked the about Seliniem, just waiting on a call back from vet to determine her fate.

More
10 years 9 months ago #393852 by spoook
I think you may mean blackleg [;)]. Do you know of they have had a 5 in 1 inocculation? This will cover blackleg.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
10 years 9 months ago #393883 by mandy_moo31
Oh yep sorry mean black leg! i know when the vet came out she gave her a vitamin along with anti-biotic, as far as aware nothing has been given to the other's. I have been googling symptoms black leg seems to be most likely, is there a cure does anybody no?

Time to create page: 0.261 seconds