Hi!

More
10 years 9 months ago #28670 by Grumpy Goat
Hi! was created by Grumpy Goat
Hi to all!

I am a Texas girl living in NZ for 3+ years now. I am in the Christchurch area.

We have 4 cows, 3 goats, 4 sheep, 26 chooks and a couple of hives of bees.

Also, some guinea pigs and a standard poodle.

Right now, I am bottle feeding an orphan lamb in the house. Wish I had another one so he is not so lonely.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago #391439 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Hi!
Welcome GG ..... or should that be "Nanny" :-) Were you from a farming background in Texas?
Re bottle-fed lambs, we put the flock into a handy paddock so that the bottle-feds can get to know they are sheep. They soon learn to come when called for their bottle.

More
10 years 9 months ago #391516 by Grumpy Goat
Replied by Grumpy Goat on topic Hi!
My grandparents were ranchers and I spent weekends and summers on the ranch in Texas. My husband grew up on a farm but knows very little of livestock.

We are still learning as we go as we have only been back to the land for about 5 years. And it is amazing how little actual information I remember well.

Unfortunately, I am down to just one ewe with lamb and one ram as my other 2 ewes died in labor on Friday. A terrible tragic day here. We did try to save them but no luck.

I will definitely move them to the front and put the baby lamb with them in a couple of weeks. Great idea! Thanks!

More
10 years 9 months ago #391678 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Hi!
I have 30 or more years experience, and am still learning. Every year is a bit different so some things that worked previous years work, and others don't.
Hmmm, ewes don't usually die in labour. But they often do die if they have full term dead lambs inside them that died 3 or 4 days previously. Were the lambs rotten when you assisted the ewes?

More
10 years 9 months ago #391718 by Trace
Replied by Trace on topic Hi!
Welcome to the forum...I'm wondering if it was your standard poodle that starts with M who had a wee visit out to our house in Swannanoa a few months ago???

More
10 years 9 months ago #392120 by Grumpy Goat

Trace;385993 wrote: Welcome to the forum...I'm wondering if it was your standard poodle that starts with M who had a wee visit out to our house in Swannanoa a few months ago???

It was!!! Small world indeed!

How are you? And thanks again for the rescue of my baby! He is now never left home alone--always rides "shotgun" with me (usually) or my husband.
Terribly spoilt dog!

More
10 years 9 months ago #392122 by Grumpy Goat

LongRidge;385952 wrote: I have 30 or more years experience, and am still learning. Every year is a bit different so some things that worked previous years work, and others don't.
Hmmm, ewes don't usually die in labour. But they often do die if they have full term dead lambs inside them that died 3 or 4 days previously. Were the lambs rotten when you assisted the ewes?

No, the lambs were fine but a bit large.

There were 3 ewes in the paddock all bred at the same time--one gave birth weeks ago, the other 2 both tried to give birth last Friday.

One gave birth to a live lamb (now my pet lamb) and died while trying to give birth to his twin. The twin died too.

The other ewe also got hung up that day and the baby died. She died the next day.

Was a horrible weekend. Very sad.

But we love having the little pet lamb.

More
10 years 9 months ago #392124 by kaybe
Replied by kaybe on topic Hi!
Hi y'all Grumpy Goat ;-) Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you are well on the way to becoming self-sufficent.

Very sorry to hear about your ewes. I lost one of my girls and the lambs this year too. It's heartbreaking, isn't it? Good to hear that you have a little one to save and raise though. Pet lambs are a delight.

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
10 years 9 months ago #392156 by Trace
Replied by Trace on topic Hi!

Grumpy Goat;386442 wrote: It was!!! Small world indeed!

How are you? And thanks again for the rescue of my baby! He is now never left home alone--always rides "shotgun" with me (usually) or my husband.
Terribly spoilt dog!

LOL anytime, he's such a love (even if he can open doors and windows[;)]) Sorry to hear about your sheep, but all the best with the one you are hand raising.

Time to create page: 0.226 seconds