Hello from a United States Student

More
12 years 7 months ago #28587 by ZCrenshaw
Hello everyone

I'm a student living in the United States (Florida, to be exact). I won't be finishing my schooling until around June of next year, but I'm starting to look for a job now.

I used to want to study Business Administration, until I realized it wasn't what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. I started doing a bit of soul searching, and realized that I wanted to spend my life where I loved being: outside. If I spent most of my time cooped up in an office I would be seriously unhappy.

After realizing this, I tried to find a job that would let me work outside, in Nature. In my searches, I found a description of life as a possum trapper in New Zealand. The job seemed to call out to me. Finally, I had found a profession that would let me be outside, working with my hands. Not only would it let me be outside, but it would have me outside in beautiful New Zealand. In America, there's no places left with the same spirit and natural beauty of New Zealand.

Now that you know my story, can you help me? I need information on working as a possum trapper, or anything else on a farm/outside. Please, any information that you have that you think would help me, please pass along. As well, if there are any prospective employers out there who would like to hire a hard working, loyal, American man, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
Zac

I am an American Student looking for a job in New Zealand trapping possums. Think you can help? Message me!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #390426 by Andrea1
You could come down on a 6-month working visa, and WWOOF on farms across the country. I would think it'd be easier to hook with a trapper mentor-type person when you're down here. But to migrate in with a job that isn't on the 'most-needed' list isn't going to happen (just being realistic... we emigrated 9 years ago from the US, but DH's skill set is much-needed here). There are a couple of immigration help websites specific to NZ which may be more helpful:

www.emigratenz.org/forum/

the the yahoo group called ex-pats-in-New-Zealand

Good luck to you.

More
12 years 7 months ago #390430 by ZCrenshaw

Andrea;384570 wrote: You could come down on a 6-month working visa, and WWOOF on farms across the country. I would think it'd be easier to hook with a trapper mentor-type person when you're down here. But to migrate in with a job that isn't on the 'most-needed' list isn't going to happen (just being realistic... we emigrated 9 years ago from the US, but DH's skill set is much-needed here). There are a couple of immigration help websites specific to NZ which may be more helpful:

www.emigratenz.org/forum/

the the yahoo group called ex-pats-in-New-Zealand

Good luck to you.

thanks for the info, I'll have to check that site out. WWOOFing sounds like a good place to start. I was afraid that the skill list would be a big factor in emigrating.

I am an American Student looking for a job in New Zealand trapping possums. Think you can help? Message me!

More
12 years 7 months ago #390588 by LongRidge
I have a friend that is a possum trapper when the pelt condition is right ie over winter. It involves being cold, lonely, lots of work, and then finding someone to buy the fur or the pelts or to make them into something. He has a contact that turns the good pelts into blankets, and sells them for him. During summer, when the pelt condition is not good, he dives for gold in his claim in a very cold river.
I think that you should find a ranch in one of the northern states and work in that for 3 months over winter before you spend your summer over here in our winter. Some people cannot handle cold well, so you should find out if you can.

More
12 years 7 months ago #390812 by katieb
Hey definatly give WWOOFing a go www.wwoof.co.nz if you want to learn about the kiwi outdoors & different ways of life in NZ. Theres also the helpX website which is similar.
You will get a feel for NZ & maybe get an idea of what you want to do, I know an English girl who came to NZ for a year(visa is extended to 2 yrs now) she had finished uni & was working in a tiny office at the university & living in town, since being in NZ she has tried allsorts of farming & wants to buy some sort of farm in NZ eventually!
I think some Americans can only get a 3 month visa... im not sure if thats working or holiday though as I know of a few who were in NZ wwoofing for 3 months & another who was here for a year. You are supossed to have a working visa for wwoofing but I think youre fine with just a holiday visa as long as you say at the airport you are coming on holiday rather than to wwoof

Good Luck :)

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
12 years 7 months ago #390863 by ZCrenshaw

LongRidge;384753 wrote: I have a friend that is a possum trapper when the pelt condition is right ie over winter. It involves being cold, lonely, lots of work, and then finding someone to buy the fur or the pelts or to make them into something. He has a contact that turns the good pelts into blankets, and sells them for him. During summer, when the pelt condition is not good, he dives for gold in his claim in a very cold river.
I think that you should find a ranch in one of the northern states and work in that for 3 months over winter before you spend your summer over here in our winter. Some people cannot handle cold well, so you should find out if you can.

Thank you for the information. I have to admit, I much prefer the heat to the cold (where I live, 35 degrees Celsius feels good). Trying the winter before I make a commitment sounds like a good idea.

katieb;384993 wrote: Hey definatly give WWOOFing a go www.wwoof.co.nz if you want to learn about the kiwi outdoors & different ways of life in NZ. Theres also the helpX website which is similar.
You will get a feel for NZ & maybe get an idea of what you want to do, I know an English girl who came to NZ for a year(visa is extended to 2 yrs now) she had finished uni & was working in a tiny office at the university & living in town, since being in NZ she has tried allsorts of farming & wants to buy some sort of farm in NZ eventually!
I think some Americans can only get a 3 month visa... im not sure if thats working or holiday though as I know of a few who were in NZ wwoofing for 3 months & another who was here for a year. You are supossed to have a working visa for wwoofing but I think youre fine with just a holiday visa as long as you say at the airport you are coming on holiday rather than to wwoof

Good Luck :)

WWOOFing looks like a good option for me. I checked, and NZ and the US have an agreement that US citizens can come for up to 3 months without a visa (i think it's for vacation, but i'm not sure). I'm working on my 2nd year of college and my last year of required education at the same time right now, and I'm trying to find a career that suits me.

I'm waiting for my registration to clear on a possum trapping forum ( www.possums.co.nz/ ) so I can ask them for possum trapping specific advice. If i'm lucky, one of them will let me apprentice under them for a little while, so i can see if i like it.

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds