hi every one

More
12 years 7 months ago #390685 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic hi every one

Organix;384853 wrote: 'Doesn't play well with others' [;)]

I really don't think I should answer that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #390706 by sod
Replied by sod on topic hi every one
If you older ones have a think back to when you were at school and how English was then look at to-day maybe you can see this. Teenagers want to have something their own and this is just that happening as for it taking over on this thread I thought people on here wanted to be helpful not attacking but now see not all Good bye another newby or new person

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
12 years 7 months ago #390750 by Ruth
If those of you who are so very concerned about the rest of us who had a language discussion in this thread would stick to the question as you urge us to do, there'd have been a mix of responses and your helpful replies would have answered the question and no doubt have been friendly enough to encourage Starz to remain!

The reprimands from those who don't care how they or anyone else writes, haven't changed my mind about my posts to this thread. There are lots of questions I don't even bother to read because they're too hard to decipher. Ever think you might chase away a helpful response, a well-meaning and generous advisor? What of that? Few seem to care that offense might easily be taken by those of us you insult for being careful and as correct as we can with our language. Just because you can't, doesn't mean we shouldn't. Just because you can't doesn't mean it would not be helpful if you tried! These are comments; I don't really care to argue about it. I can write and I enjoy it. That was one area of my life where I got lucky.

More
12 years 7 months ago #390752 by WillEyre
Replied by WillEyre on topic hi every one
Maybe it is a generational thing.
There was a time when, if you were to enter a stranger's camp and ask to be given something for free, you'd at least attempt to generate a little empathy by trying to speak their language. Before you knew whether they were going to greet you, beat you, or eat you, that would be practical, wouldn't it? The rule is; until you get to know them you might have to adapt a little so they know what you want and you don't frighten them by looking too demanding an alien.
The 'english' language has always been subject to evolution, having itself evolved from mother tongues - which in themselves had evolved. English, or any other language has never been 'perfect' or static nor used 'perfectly' by anyone. It is complex and is forever changing.
However, if it's considered socially desirable that any given generation can communicate with those either side of it, it is has always been essential that a few basic rules of usage are employed. You don't have to be perfect, but you have to be conventional enough to be understood.
In my view, there was little nastiness or 'holier than thou' in the replies - but perhaps there's a little lesson there though for those with the wit to recognise it.
Ed

I liked Occam's Razor so much, I bought the company.

More
12 years 7 months ago #390758 by Ruth
Will, you're an elegant wordsmith!

Has anyone ever noticed that the way they speak in different company changes? My mother was English, and so in some company I can sound almost quite BBC (well, I think I can), but having grown up in rural Far Northland, I can do Northland/East Coast K/iwi with the rest of them. I know I sound completely different with a group of elderly Auckland women compared with my accent when speaking to a group of school teenagers up here.

More
12 years 7 months ago #390776 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic hi every one
In regard to both WillEyre and (especially) Ruth's immediate past posts, the communications on this or any other internet based forum is that written text on a computer monitor doesn't have the benefits of tone of voice, body language, verbal hesitation, handwriting style and/or corrections, accent or a number of other communication clues that are part and parcel of less disconnected (and more personally responsible) forms of communication.

Taking this difference into account the accuracy of questions asked and advice given, on such forums as this, are of great importance in the forum's functioning and to introduce what can in some respects be regarded as virtually another language can quickly render meaningful communication useless if not impossible.

There are a few regular contributors to LSB that have poor spelling and other writing skills. I, along with other regular posters I suspect, will glance at their posts in passing but without putting too much effort into deciphering their language. I guess that genuine disabilities are responsible for some members' grammatical shortcomings and cut them some slack accordingly BUT to foster a communication disability such as textspeak is, is lazy, ignorant and impolite to those who genuinely contribute to forums such as this who often go out of their way to help novices.

Rant over :cool:

ps. Next grumble is in those contributers whose posts run to dozens of lines of text without a paragraph break. My eyes (like those I suspect of many of the mature members here) have spent too many hours peering at a VDU to read 'walls of text' such as this.

Solution: Give the 'enter' key a couple of taps every few lines. Never mind the grammatical change of topic thing 'cause it doesn't really matter if this is the difference between your post being read, or just scrolled on up the page :)

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
12 years 7 months ago #390792 by kalnetta
Replied by kalnetta on topic hi every one
What a load of B.S. this post is.

View Hill Oxford ,23 ewes 2 lambs ,1 ram,, 1cat,the 2 of us,6 granddaughters,one grandson,2 surrogate granddaughters and one step grandson,poor boy.

More
12 years 7 months ago #390794 by kate
Replied by kate on topic hi every one
I think everything that could usefully be said has been said...and much that could usefully have been left unsaid.

Time to move on to another topic...

Web Goddess

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds