hi every one

More
12 years 7 months ago #390242 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic hi every one
my head hurts just trying to figure out what the obreviations mean..
i work with a bunch of under 20's ( ish ) and they all send me txt in txt speak.. i end up ringing them to get a translation.. he he he

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #390368 by sod
Replied by sod on topic hi every one
And we wonder why starz has not been heard from again "YEAH RIGHT" good welcome to a new one people

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #390397 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic hi every one
It's a bit like going to a party and discovering you're so different from everyone there that maybe you'll try another party. If someone came here and expected to interact with us all in, say, French, most of us would have trouble with the relationship. This is a written English forum. Many of us have problems enough - well, it's not that we're stupid, it's that we get tired making out people's meanings - with absent grammatical signals, without removing most of the vowels from words!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #390517 by The Kats Place
Replied by The Kats Place on topic hi every one
Is a wonder any newbies come back. They come for advice and frenship not an English lesson. I hop the don't feel they have to go and try another site that will accept them. If you don't like the way the communicate then block their posts, there is not need to be nasty, personal and hurtful.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #390518 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic hi every one

The Kats Place;384676 wrote: Is a wonder any newbies come back. They come for advice and frenship not an English lesson. I hop the don't feel they have to go and try another site that will accept them. If you don't like the way the communicate then block their posts, there is not need to be nasty, personal and hurtful.


Sorry TKP, but I'm not being nasty, personal or hurtful but I do agree with Ruth. I can't speak French so don't belong to French websites, I can't speak txt speak either so don't belong to them. This website writes in full English so I belong to it. If every member wrote in txt speak I'd be out of here like a shot. Nobody is going to pass on advice if they can't understand what is being written in the first place.

Cheers,
Ronnie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #390531 by Farmer53
Replied by Farmer53 on topic hi every one

The Kats Place;384676 wrote: Is a wonder any newbies come back. They come for advice and frenship not an English lesson. I hop the don't feel they have to go and try another site that will accept them. If you don't like the way the communicate then block their posts, there is not need to be nasty, personal and hurtful.


i agree with you The Kats Place,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #390561 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic hi every one

Ronney;384677 wrote: Sorry TKP, but I'm not being nasty, personal or hurtful but I do agree with Ruth. I can't speak French so don't belong to French websites, I can't speak txt speak either so don't belong to them. This website writes in full English so I belong to it. If every member wrote in txt speak I'd be out of here like a shot. Nobody is going to pass on advice if they can't understand what is being written in the first place.

Cheers,
Ronnie

Also I'm mindful that advice given on this site is often detailed and contains technical terms. If a poster cannot cope with basic English there is no point in attempting to advise them with any confidence that that advice will be used correctly.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #390585 by WillEyre
Replied by WillEyre on topic hi every one
'R u cming 2 dnr 2nite'
What gets me about this newfangled 'textspeak' is that it actually doesn't save much, if any time at all. It is more a matter of just throwing all the conventions of spelling out the window and writing the word the best way you can.
I am certainly no authority, but consider this - the above example (used by a contributor as an illustration) would require the fingers to push the phone keys 39 times. Now, if spelling it correctly ('Are you coming to dinner tonight'), using predictive texting it only requires 32 pushes.
For many, the problem with predictive texting, and the reason I imagine they don't use it, is that you actually have to be able to spell correctly - and they can't.
Even with textspeak that looks faster it isn't -
(Plz takes 8 pushes, 'please' takes 6. And I don't know how you can argue that 'duz' (7) or 'dose' is faster than the 5-push 'does'.
Ed

I liked Occam's Razor so much, I bought the company.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #390590 by igor
Replied by igor on topic hi every one
I wonder if starz has found any free chooks yet. Hope we haven't put her of entirely with our well meaning language lessons.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #390631 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic hi every one
well i have to say .. if i was Starz .. and i got shot to shit for the way i type and speak on my first post on the site .. then sorry i wouldnt be back .. and i think all the " well meanning language experts" on here have probably achieved that already
As to me ( yep old, straight up say what i think and mean) to many have got on High Horses over things that are of no rellivance ( and bugger the spelling as i am first to admit i cant spell for shit ... does that mean i am also no good with animals? and that i am useless at looking after animals or doing things with my hands ? ) and as far as i can see "shot to shit" a new person that just asked a simple question in a "hello" message as thats what this "NewMemebers introduce yourself" catagory is about isnt it ?????? or am i worng .. and it's so you can put yourself up to be torn to peices by those that are far more educated ( or think they are ) than people like i am

:) welcome Starz :) and hope you have found some chooks :)
Hey matey ,,, not all of us on this site are rightious and Hollier than thou .. :) some of us are just basic down to earth ordinary people :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #390674 by PalmyCol
Replied by PalmyCol on topic hi every one

Stu_R;384799 wrote: well i have to say .. if i was Starz .. and i got shot to shit for the way i type and speak on my first post on the site .. then sorry i wouldnt be back .. and i think all the " well meanning language experts" on here have probably achieved that already
As to me ( yep old, straight up say what i think and mean) to many have got on High Horses over things that are of no rellivance ( and bugger the spelling as i am first to admit i cant spell for shit ... does that mean i am also no good with animals? and that i am useless at looking after animals or doing things with my hands ? ) and as far as i can see "shot to shit" a new person that just asked a simple question in a "hello" message as thats what this "NewMemebers introduce yourself" catagory is about isnt it ?????? or am i worng .. and it's so you can put yourself up to be torn to peices by those that are far more educated ( or think they are ) than people like i am

:) welcome Starz :) and hope you have found some chooks :)

Hey matey ,,, not all of us on this site are rightious and Hollier than thou .. :) some of us are just basic down to earth ordinary people :)

I couldn't agree more, there never seems to be a shortage of people just itching to take people to task for any slips of the tongue ( or keyboard ) and/or grammatical errors. Some people just need to take a chill pill and learn to roll with the punches.


Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #390677 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic hi every one
Oh no, we're back to cunning linguistics again! [}:)]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #390681 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic hi every one

Ruth;384848 wrote: Oh no, we're back to cunning linguistics again! [}:)]

'Doesn't play well with others' [;)]

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #390682 by The Kats Place
Replied by The Kats Place on topic hi every one
Actually Ronney its interesting that you thought I was meaning you, you comments were not the ones I was thinking of when I wrote what I did.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #390683 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic hi every one

The Kats Place;384854 wrote: Actually Ronney its interesting that you thought I was meaning you, you comments were not the ones I was thinking of when I wrote what I did.


No TKP, I didn't think that you were meaning me specifically at all but reading my post it could well have appeared that way.

Stu, would you like to tell me who is being rightious and "holier than thou"? And to take up the very good point that Organix made, perhaps you would also like to describe to me in txtspeak how to lamb a ewe, milk a cow, build a fence, drench a cow, trim feet...... so that it could be understood.

Perhaps, for the sake of propriety, a moderator could shift all posts dealing with txtspeak into a new topic, leaving the original post and asnwers to the question in place here, as this is not a go at Starz but an evolvement on language and what people find acceptable.

Cheers,
Ronnie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds