Newbies!

• J&W
10 years 10 months ago #28304 by J&W
Newbies! was created by J&W
Hi All!

My name is Jennie and my partner and I are moving to New Zealand ( I come from wellington but have been living in RSA for the last 3+ years, He is from the Netherlands ) Currently we are looking to be settled in the Hawkes Bay region.

We are trying to find some where rural to rent to start off with while we search for our own little slice of land.

Wietse has huge experience in large scale cash cropping, as well as being a manager he is also a wicked mechanic even working on custom machines and refurbishments. I on the other hand have always been a wannabe, having worked in both the video games industry and filming and editing wildlife tv ( check out shamwari a wild life, its the first show I worked on :) ) So we have a diverse mixture of skills.

Currently keeping my self busy planing our business and raising, what can only be described as African mongrel chickens. for eggs. Funnily enough the cockerel has turned out magnificently he looks very much like a Welsummer but his heritage is hmmmm some what cloudy, We also have a large vegetable garden for us and for the chickens.

We have joined this forum to help prepare for our move. and hopefully aid our search for a place to live!! We can do renovations as well !

I am really interested in the growth of the local food phenomena which seems to finally becoming a main stream focus!

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 10 months ago #387318 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Newbies!
Welcome to the forum!

Those chooks sound neat - do you have any photos you could post?

More
10 years 10 months ago #387324 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Newbies!
Welcome sounds like you enjoy life :) and should have fun doing the lifestyle thing. We are from Wellington too in another life well feels like it :D :D

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
10 years 10 months ago #387444 by J&W
Replied by J&W on topic Newbies!
Here is the cockerel when I first acquired him,

and here are a couple of him now :)

More
10 years 10 months ago #387445 by J&W
Here is the cockerel when I first acquired him,

and here are a couple of him now :)

More
10 years 10 months ago #387450 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Newbies!
Thanks - he's a very handsome bird!

More
10 years 10 months ago #387538 by J&W
Unfortunately he is quite agressive, Have had a go at giving him chicken threapy :)

which really translates to showing him who is boss of the garden and asserting my dominance.. if people have other advice that would be super! He was pretty much hand raised. used to strut into the house and come and sit on our shoulders on the sofa and nuzzle in.

He Calmed down a bit when he got his own ladies, But now it seems to go in a cycle of agression, some days he is super sweet and can be petted and other days he will run the full length of the garden to corner me and he has certainly mastered the flying attack.

Most of the advice I have received is to get rid of him, but I really want to have his genetics in at least one batch of chicks!

I do live in very umm rural south africa at the moment next to a township of about 20,000 ( the town its self is a one street one donkey kinda place ) And they definitely do cock fighting in the township, so I wonder if he some how reached me from that kinda place, would be interesting to know if that agression that they prize in the fight ring is passed down genetically, he dosn't have overly large spurs though so not to sure.

he just walked in to the garden one day and stayed so we looked after him.

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds