Kikuyu Heaven

More
10 years 10 months ago #28245 by Jillitay451
Kikuyu Heaven was created by Jillitay451
Kia ora lifestylers. It's been great reading the forums as we start out... super helpful and entertaining, plus encouraging to learn that not everyone starts on the ideal block. Thank you :) So far we are working to make the 110 year old cottage habitable, get compost and a veg garden going for spring, fixing leaky water tanks and clearing 10 years of rubbish... there is always the moment when you pull your gummies on and wonder which job to tackle first - then end up doing heaps of jobs you didn't plan on doing when you headed out, coming in at dusk tired and happy. Today our dairying neighbour is bringing in a couple of cows and calves to help with the 1m high kikuyu, after which he'll run his big mower/mulcher over it. Joy. Trapped my first possums last night - another joy. Any advice on the kikuyu will be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 10 months ago #386594 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Kikuyu Heaven
Hi and welcome. Kikuyu: keep it under control! How many acres and are you intending to have livestock to eat the Kikuyu, or just keep it under control in other ways?

More
10 years 10 months ago #386616 by brtscc
Replied by brtscc on topic Kikuyu Heaven
yup keep it grazed short - long Kikuyu is yukky to eat (I'm assured by my cows..)

More
10 years 10 months ago #386620 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Kikuyu Heaven
Depends on the cows. Mine are tough foragers who will take on acres of partially inedible Kikuyu and beat it into submission! Marvellous animals.

More
10 years 10 months ago #386621 by kaybe
Replied by kaybe on topic Kikuyu Heaven
Hi Jillitay, and welcome to the site. It sounds like you have taken on a big job there, but loving it, so that's good. We'll look forward to hearing about your progress.

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

Time to create page: 0.218 seconds