Hi everyone I have just joined...

More
12 years 6 months ago #28212 by ruralgirlforever
Hi have just got inside, got home at 5pm and found a ewe down. Called the vet and he said she has barber pole worm. We just wormed them 6 weeks ago, but he said that they can get them as soon as 3 weeks after being drenched. We are so careful and drench often so its so gutting. She is barley conscious and he has given her some shots and said just hope for the best. He also said if she does die over night she won't know anything as she is very sick. I won't be able to sleep tonight and am just praying that she makes it through. Shes had a rough life, she had twins a couple of years ago her first time lambing and one died. I had to bottle feed the other one and that one had twins herself last year. But this sick ewe has not lambed again..and I don;t care, as long as she doesn't suffer.....wish me luck....its gonna be a long night... :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #386223 by spoook
Welcome and my thoughts will be with you. Good luck.
Do you have any Vigest? or Ketol?
The vet may have suggested either.

Genesis Ultra is long term acting on Barber's pole worm, about 40 days.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
12 years 6 months ago #386241 by Ruth
Genesis Ultra? For sheep?

More
12 years 6 months ago #386242 by spoook
Yes............ :confused: we have been using it on the goats for some time. Trying to win the battle against barbers pole. hahaha

It is not just a cattle drench....................

www.ruralliving.co.nz/cms/regulars/anima...rbers_pole_time_.php

www.cambridgevets.co.nz/main.cfm?id=861&cid=11&cid2=8&pid=422

More
12 years 6 months ago #386248 by Ruth
Genesis Ultra Oral, vs. Genesis Ultra Pour-on. Two quite different products. Never use one in place of the other!

More
12 years 6 months ago #386260 by ruralgirlforever
Thanks Spoook and Ruth yes from now on I will be using Genesis Ultra. Will get some tomorrow and drench the rest of the sheep and my goat piper. We have never used a pour on always an oral........thanks again

More
12 years 6 months ago #386268 by spoook
With Genesis Ultra we have found it is not as long term effective in goats as in sheep. Our efficacy period seems to be about 30 days.

More
12 years 6 months ago #386326 by Ruth
The pour-on is not for sheep, it's the cattle drench. Different chemicals, different targets.

More
12 years 6 months ago #386339 by Rothwell
The Genesis Ultra Pour-on for cattle has Abamectin for most things and Tricabendazole for flukes. The Genesis Ultra drench for sheep has Abamectin and Closantel for flukes.
If you are not in a fluke area then getting Ultra is a bit of a waste of money. But if you have BP at the moment then you are likely in Northland, and thus in a fluke area, because BP does not like cold weather. We only get BP occassionally in February and March here in Nelson.
If you are drenching regularly, then what you change to depends on what you have been using. The bugs/worms get resistant to all the -ectins, or all the - bendimidisoles (white drenches), or all the levamisols. Thus changing name and not changing the type of drug used will be a waste of time.
Regular drenching is a very good way of making the worms resistant to the drug. Only ever drench when necessary, and then only drench the ones that need it, not all of them.
You should be using a dual or a triple drench now, which Genesis is not.

• zhangling891011
12 years 6 months ago #386391 by zhangling891011
Replied by zhangling891011 on topic Hi everyone I have just joined...
hi , we all like annimails ,so we have many common idea .

www.2011brandhandbags.net

More
12 years 6 months ago #386474 by terralee
How is your girl doing ruralgirl ..I hope she made it for you :)

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
12 years 6 months ago #386601 by kindajojo
hi rural girl
hope the ewe is still going, I initailly has the same probelm with BP and was using genesis and it doesnt do BP for long.
Vet recommends vetdectin (sp)
Animals do recover but she will be very anaemic and will need some good quality food to get her back up and running
Her fleece may also drop out.
It pays to check your sheep at least monthly checking gums and eyes they should be pink not white.

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds