New and saying Hi to all!

More
12 years 9 months ago #28196 by Leonie
Hello to all,
I am so glad I found this forum. My name is Leonie and at the moment I live just south of Hamilton city in the North Island. My partner and I are waiting for our home to go un-conditional in sale then we are heading up the far North to the bush in Kaeo for a more self sufficient lifestyle.

I'm looking forward to the new change and learning alot of new skills. I know it wont be an easy start but am up for the challenge :).

Thanks

Leonie & Mike

'REGRET IS A DULL AND RUSTED BLADE'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #386042 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic New and saying Hi to all!
Welcome!
How much land in Kaeo and presumably it's not on the river flats?

More
12 years 9 months ago #386046 by Leonie
Replied by Leonie on topic New and saying Hi to all!
Hi Ruth,

it's a 60 acre property up above Kaeo, about 6-8 acres grazing and the rest is bush land (toatara etc).

We have rivers on the property but lower away from the house and grazing land.

We aren't wanting to touch the native bush at all. And the property has an alternative power source so is off the grid.

Thanks

Leonie

More
12 years 9 months ago #386053 by Leonie
If all goes well, it will be a 60 acre property, about 6-8 acres of grazing, the rest is in totara bush land etc.

We have a couple streams and a river on the property but they are down from the grazing and house.

There is a water wheel for our power supply so we are off the grid.

we are wanting to raise some meat and have chooks etc, and I have alot of work ahead of me to set our vegie gardens up and re-organize the small orchard that is there.

Oh and I am pregnant with our 3rd child, due on Feb 1st lol.

Thanks

Leonie :)

More
12 years 9 months ago #386054 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic New and saying Hi to all!
Welcome Leonie ...we use to live up north ...Hihi Beach (Mangonui) and then bought our first LSB between there and Kaitaia ....best farrier I ever had lived at Kaeo and our friends had a dairy farm there and the service station ...careful of flooding[:0] Lovely area [^]
Nice name you have[;)]
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
12 years 9 months ago #386056 by witheze
Replied by witheze on topic New and saying Hi to all!
Well there's a hospital at Kaeo, and a rugby club and a general store, what else do you need! Well I think theres a store.......Good luck in your new venture.....[8D]

More
12 years 9 months ago #386062 by Leonie
Thank you.... Yes there is a store and the hospital is just up the Rd from our place. Hopefully I wont need the hospital as I am having a home water birth.
The first time we went up to view the property was during the last cyclone and flood that hit the area... I fell inlove with Kaeo and Whangaroa.

More
12 years 9 months ago #386078 by Ruth
Where are you from and where else have you lived?

More
12 years 9 months ago #386083 by Leonie
I was born here in the Waikato, born and raised in the country. Have lived here all my life.

We have 19 and 14 yr old sons. The 19 yr old has moved out and doing his own thing.

We are wanting to setup a safe place for our children to come when times get hard, without having too much of an impact on the enviornment.

More
12 years 9 months ago #386090 by kate
Replied by kate on topic New and saying Hi to all!
Hi Leonie

We've moved from the Waikato to Northland, have a block with a large bush block and are off-grid. The only kids we have are the four-legged variety though...

Welcome to lsb and Northland
Kate

Web Goddess

More
12 years 9 months ago #386091 by Leonie
Oh wow that's good to know. I have sisters that live in the Hokianga but apart from that, no other family up there.

Am really looking forward to meeting and learning from others, trading etc.

What power source do you use? It really interests me how people go about their day to day.

More
12 years 9 months ago #386101 by Ruth
We had some friends near Kaeo with a water-wheel generation system, lovely streams, a bit of grazing ... sounds rather like your set-up! We're 42km from Kaeo, as the Kukupa flies.

More
12 years 9 months ago #386103 by Leonie
I wonder if it was our place? The guy selling built the water wheel and system
Himself. He's great.
It's nice to know people round those ways. I won't feel so isolated lol. My partner will be traveling back and forth to Te Awamutu for now as he works for FONTERRA (making milk powder). Just until he can find something closer. He works 4 days and has 4 days off, a lot of traveling but it has to be for a while.

More
12 years 9 months ago #386131 by Ruth
Pm me your address if you like and I'll see - or the vendors' names. Does Fonterrible transfer people between factories? Kauri would be so much closer. I know someone from up here who does 4/4 shifts there.

More
12 years 9 months ago #386143 by Leonie
lol yea Fonterrible is right. My partner said I am not allowed to protest against them or he will lose his job (laughs) Kauri is exactly where he would like to get transferred to but they only advertise the jobs on the internet site and not many go up there. Mike has been with them for almost 18 years and is a plant operator. If the person you know hears of any jobs going we would be very grateful to hear.

Time to create page: 0.203 seconds