Clucky chook

More
10 years 10 months ago #28119 by Vanessa.l
Clucky chook was created by Vanessa.l
Hello all

I have about 10 chooks, a mixture of polish,silkies, bantams and leghorns (no roosters). They are all very spoiled members of our family.

My problem is with my silkie (approx 9 months old). She is very clucky. It all started about 10 days ago, she just did not get off the the nest one morning, and was still there later that afternoon. I took her off and she started with her little bok boking all the way back to the box. I moved her again and she kept going back. I have been picking her up and putting her on the other side of the yard. She pecks around a bit then heads back to the nest (no eggs). I can do this 10 times a day and she still heads back. I thought she would get sick of having to go all the way back, but this is not the case.

My Granny used to lock them up in a seperate shed when she had clucky hens, and I always felt sad for them so I was trying to avoid having to do that. This morning I moved the box to another shelf that she cant get too in the hope she would forget about it. She is now going back down there boking all the way and just hops on the shelf and stares at the box.

I am able to lock up the chook yard during the day (all lay early in the morning) and keep her out. Does anyone think thats a good idea. I have nearly cracked a couple of times and put the box back for her, but I can feel she is losing weight so I want to stop her before she loses too much.

I would love to hear from anyone who had some thoughts on the subject.

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 10 months ago #385269 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Clucky chook
I had found the "broody box" method the best way if you don't want her to sit. 4-5 days is about all it takes and she will start to lay again in about 2 weeks. If you let her continue to sit as she is, she will be 5-6-7 weeks before she starts to lay again......or, you could put fertile eggs under her and let her hatch them, or day olds under her once she has been sitting close to 3 weeks. Broody hens are worth their weight in gold.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
10 years 10 months ago #385271 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Clucky chook
She needs to be put in an airy box/cage with a wire bottom, (but plenty of food and water) to reduce her temperature. She needs to be kept there for 4 days before being let out!
As SB says, the longer you leave it, the longer she takes to get back to lay!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
10 years 10 months ago #385274 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Clucky chook
She needs fertile eggs to hatch! She wants to be a mum.

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds