Broadband availability in Eyrewell Canty

More
10 years 11 months ago #28100 by EXREDZONER
Hi All,
As my login name shows we are escaping CHCH city to the rural area.
Our new site is in Eyrewell and has fibre optic to the boundary.(South Eyre Road)
My question is :
Has any one in the area a broadband connection and who is the ISP and what are the costs?
I ask this question as Telecom is not able at present (or ever) to provide an ADLS2+ connection.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards
EXREDZONER

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #385065 by kai
In Eyrewell you will be able to get satellite broadband if nothing else. Cost depends on what package you choose www.farmside.co.nz/

More
10 years 11 months ago #385067 by kai
oh btw if you get it and get PGG or another of their partners to bill you, you will get a discount

More
10 years 11 months ago #385088 by Andrea1
Alternatively, there is rural link, or no8wireless.co.nz. We can't get farmside or scorch out here, and Telecom will probably never come to the party (which is fine by us!), so rural link was the only option. We've had it about a year I think, and it's been good so far. We're in the Burnt Hill area of Oxford.

More
10 years 11 months ago #385095 by kalnetta
I just use a telecom T stick and since I stuck it to the window it works fine.Mine was $90. for the stick and $65. for 2GB .

View Hill Oxford ,23 ewes 2 lambs ,1 ram,, 1cat,the 2 of us,6 granddaughters,one grandson,2 surrogate granddaughters and one step grandson,poor boy.

More
10 years 11 months ago #385097 by kai
before buying either a t stick or vodaphone equivalent, check you are in a 3 G area, else you pay for broadband, but get dialup speeds

More
10 years 11 months ago #385098 by Andrea1
We paid $600 for the install (that was a year ago, now, I think) and pay $95/month for 10GB with no8 wireless (just for a price comparison). We need the GBs, as DS is always downloading new linux & etc stuff.

More
10 years 11 months ago #385147 by Seaside
We are also on South Eyre Road (between Two Chain and Browns), but we don't have fibre optic as far as I know. We are on wireless through Orcon - our options are limited because we don't have line of sight to the port hills transmitter, only to Mt Gray (thanks to Eyrewell forext).

It's more expensive and slower than ADSL, but it's a better upload speed than satellite. We pay $100 per month for 2GB (and $5 for every GB extra) and for the fastest speed. There are cheaper options (slower with a smaller limit). I work from home using a VPN and it's OK but not fantastic. Normal internet connection (ie not through work) is fast enough to keep me happy.

I have written to Steven Joyce about the rural broadband scheme, and our area is on the list, but no specific timeframe was given other than "in the next six years" (I wrote about 18 months ago).

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
10 years 11 months ago #385275 by Shropshire Blue
We've line of sight to Mount grey so on Scorch for just over $100 per month and 10 GB.
Been waiting over 2 years for port to come vacant in cabinet, started at third and still third in line [:(!]

Time to create page: 0.253 seconds