New, from Awahuri

More
10 years 11 months ago #27911 by KathRushworth
Hi folks. Just moved to the Manawatu from shaky Christchurch. I've been looking after chickens since February and liking the idea of living more sustainably.

Tempted by lots of fanciful ideas like Earthships and growing my own food, but apart from the chickens I'm not doing much except raising my kids at the moment. We'd eventually like to get some of our own land and maybe build something, but for now we need to have an income.

I don't suppose anyone needs a long-term house sitter for their plot in the Manawatu? [;)]

Living with my husband, secular home-educating my 2 boys (Oct 2007, Jan 2010).
Relocated from Christchurch to 5.5acres of my FIL's land in Awahuri.
2 cats, 2 ducks, 1 guinea fowl, 20 odd mixed breed free ranging chickens (for eggs and meat).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #383134 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic New, from Awahuri
:) hi and welcome to the LSB family :)
Pretty wet out your way at the moment lol .. everything sodden at the Olive grove yesterday
I have all my animals ( well apart from my dogs) out at Awahuri
:) must catch up sometime

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
10 years 11 months ago #383165 by KathRushworth
Replied by KathRushworth on topic New, from Awahuri
Awesome :D

Yep, we have neighbours who were grazing some horses at our place and they moved them to Marton because the whole area here had turned into a boggy mess.

Living with my husband, secular home-educating my 2 boys (Oct 2007, Jan 2010).
Relocated from Christchurch to 5.5acres of my FIL's land in Awahuri.
2 cats, 2 ducks, 1 guinea fowl, 20 odd mixed breed free ranging chickens (for eggs and meat).

More
10 years 11 months ago #383169 by shad297
Replied by shad297 on topic New, from Awahuri
Hi Kate, welcome to the cold, wet and not so shaky Manawatu. Drove through Awahuri today on our way to Feilding, lovely place. I am in Palmerston North with two kids 10 and 14 in suburbia growing our own veges and fruit trees etc. Would like some land one day. I'm not really a gardener, husband much better at that than me, but I do other things so not totally useless. Lived here 7 years before that 16 years in Auckland then before that UK. Love Noo Zilland. Husband grew up in Palmy hence the move here to be near one set of grandparents who have a big section in suburbia growing all sorts of things - great really as we help them eat their fruit during harvest time.
cheers
Sarah aka shad

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

Time to create page: 0.186 seconds