re-cycled old member..new name

More
10 years 11 months ago #27907 by 3 girls farming
I've had to register myself as a new person because the old person doesn't exist anymore... after many years together I'm now separated and forging ahead with my two girls.. hence the name...

I'm discovering abilities I never knew I had, discovering that running an electric fence down a steep hill with the kids in a rain storm is actually great fun (sliding down the hills on our bottoms), that drenching the sheep can result in more drench on me and the kids then in the sheep and that everything can be fixed with a hot shower and milo...

Because I'm suddenly doing all those jobs the other half always said were SO hard for him to do and that I'd never be able to do (hehehe) I'm going to go back to the beginning and ask some very basic questions but I'm also going to have some success to celebrate (some already) when I manage something on my own.

Join me on my journey to making this property workable and making a new life for my kids and me... onward and upward!!!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #383061 by reggit
You go, girl! (well, all three of you!) :D :D :D

There are a fair number of women running LSBs on their own who are regular contributors on this site - one of the things that really impresses me :rolleyes:

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
10 years 11 months ago #383067 by spoook
Welcome back and congratulations on not giving up a great lifestyle.(albeit a hard one sometimes [;)])
You know we will be here to assist and support you all in one way or another.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
10 years 11 months ago #383079 by Stu_R
:) welcome to the site ( ok again as you say lol :) )
:) with the ammount of rain we had this way am guessing only way down the hills up the Valley is on your bums lol :)
Close enough here to give you a hand if you ever need one , just yell :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
10 years 11 months ago #383080 by kate
Replied by kate on topic re-cycled old member..new name
Welcome back and we're here to help...and girls really can do anything :D

Web Goddess

More
10 years 11 months ago #383082 by Hawkspur
A friends aunt has farmed on her own all her life. She was still going strong at 85, even after a broken pelvis and the doctors saying she'd have to give it up.
She farmed cattle and sheep.
So yes, you can do it!

More
10 years 11 months ago #383086 by Hasbeen
There will be good days & bad days & bloody great days.

You & your girls are building wonderful memories.
The things family legends are made of.

Women have been doing this since time began, just not talking much, too busy doing.

Think of all those years the men were off in long boats, raiding & the like.

If the males were big enough to help round the place they were big enough for the raiding party :D

You will do fine. :)

Recovering Lifestyler

More
10 years 11 months ago #383112 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic re-cycled old member..new name
Hey there. You can do this and I know as I did it practically on my own for over 20 years. The thing to do is get smart! When you have to get a Vet out to deliver a stuck lamb, don't just pay them - ask them to let you do it with their guidance. Immediate strength and understanding when you do. Don't be afraid to ask for help (no it is not a feminist stand point that you have to overcome) as you will be amazed at how many neighbours and friends will be willing to help. Think of that personally. If someone asked for your help, would you not feel brilliant to be able to help them. Goes two ways!

As you know (whoever you were previously) you have a family here of like minded people and no question is stupid and not heard.

Now comes the out of left field reply - don't be stupid about the life you have chosen. Your kids are going to grow up and maybe you will be left with issues when they don't want to help you and would rather do other things. Keep your mind open at all times to the fact that this may not be their dream and if it is getting too hard - bail. Don't get into debt and be real is my advise and I hope that that will not happen and you and yours will have an awesome time together for however long it is meant to be.

More
10 years 11 months ago #383120 by sod
Replied by sod on topic re-cycled old member..new name
Good on you, :) All DiDi said remember it's great to be able to help so someone needs to be helped :D :D

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
10 years 11 months ago #383132 by terralee
Welcome ...again ...and course you (and the girls) can do anything[^] Thanks for the invite to join you on your exciting journey :D
Cheers and all the best :)

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
10 years 11 months ago #383145 by 3 girls farming
thanks guys... and the real up side to doing this on our own (this is the still slightly vain girl in me talking... ) I've lost so much weight and really toned up with plans to do so much more fencing over spring I'll be buffed.. hahaha.. [;)]

I'm working towards making this place easier to cope with... after weeks of chasing cattle around the house section, the neighbours section and the roads I've battened the fence.. such a simple fix and now they can't get out.. (ok .. I have the most up and down battens the world has ever seen )
.. nothing is pretty here but it works.. I figure I'll just plant some flax in front of the fence and no one will ever see it.. hehehe.. [8D][:I]

More
10 years 11 months ago #383154 by hilldweller
Good on you. It's amazing what you can do when you try, or get someone to show you how - bearing in mind that what works best for a 6ft bloke may not always be the best way for you. Agree with Didi - the thing to do is get smart. Work out what you can do and enjoy doing, and then figure out ways to get the other stuff done or eliminate the need for it. Well done on battening the fence.

hilldweller

More
10 years 11 months ago #383193 by Rothwell
Welcome back :-)
Even for something as "easy" as battening, ask. Battening is very easy to get wrong, and is hugely more effective if done correctly :-). And very tight wires helps to keep any animal in, but the strainer and stay assembly must be done properly to get enough wire tension.

More
10 years 11 months ago #383226 by Gracelands
As others have said, welcome back, there's plenty of us here doing it alone. (who were you before, by the way?) I've been here 7 years, plus I work full-time, and if there's an easy way to do something, I've found it!

As you've already figured out, good fences are the first essential, along with good yards that work properly. Any fences that aren't quite up to scratch yet can be strenghtened with a hotwire. Its amazing what can be achieved with electric tape and standards.

To be honest, I've found the house maintenance things to be more problematical than the farming ones. Speaking of which, I've got a rats nest (and a dead rat) to clean out of my hot-water cupboard. Now that's one job I could really use a man for!

"Just living is not enough. One must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower."
Hans Christian Anderson

More
10 years 11 months ago #383233 by 3 girls farming
great comment... " got a rats nest (and a dead rat) to clean out of my hot-water cupboard. Now that's one job I could really use a man for!".... hahaha... the last job I managed to get the ex to do before he shot through was clean a very rotten rat out of the ceiling... what he deserved really...

Time to create page: 0.230 seconds