New to Goregeous Goats

More
12 years 7 months ago #27845 by AnneY
New to Goregeous Goats was created by AnneY
Hello Lifestyle Blockers-
I am new to blogging/forums and even newer to goats - I have a lovely Saanen girl and would love to be able to borrow an hour of someones time to get some info/help with regards to being a Goat owner. I live in Central Wairarapa - is there anyone nearby who could help out a newbie???
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #382268 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic New to Goregeous Goats
Just ask lots of questions on here, and all us goat-mad folks will answer from our experiences. Welcome to the forum!

More
12 years 7 months ago #382276 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic New to Goregeous Goats
Welcome AnneY, owning a goat is the start of a whole new life and love [;)] I now have over 100 of them [:I]

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
12 years 7 months ago #382290 by Rothwell
Replied by Rothwell on topic New to Goregeous Goats
As Andrea did not say, if you ask the questions on here you will get lots more information than if you just ask one local who might either love them or hate them.

More
12 years 7 months ago #382301 by Ghilly
Replied by Ghilly on topic New to Goregeous Goats
My suggestion first off is that you get another goat as a companion for the first one. They love company and will go looking for it if they haven't got any 'friends'.
Have fun and welcome to the Team Goat - the addiction Lol.

Yakut

More
12 years 7 months ago #382384 by Rothwell
Yakut, one only might be fine, but if the goat was bought up with other animals and never a goat then it quite possibly might not like a goat for company. We had a doe for many years that was raised as a kid on a cow farm. She never did get into the goat herd, and would try to escape into the cow herd for the 8 or so years we had her.

More
12 years 7 months ago #382409 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic New to Goregeous Goats

AnneY;375553 wrote: Hello Lifestyle Blockers-
I am new to blogging/forums and even newer to goats - I have a lovely Saanen girl and would love to be able to borrow an hour of someones time to get some info/help with regards to being a Goat owner. I live in Central Wairarapa - is there anyone nearby who could help out a newbie???
Thanks

Welcome to the forum - we live relatively close (Martinborough) and after Thursday 15th I'm home again all the time. We have 4 goats though are relatively new to this game. Our two does are due to kid in August, so then we'll have more! Lovely critters - we're smitten with ours.

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
12 years 7 months ago #382456 by foufee
Replied by foufee on topic New to Goregeous Goats
Hi there Anne,

welcome to the addictive world of goats, and the forum as well.

there are a few of around the central wairarapa area with goats, we have 5 Saanens (3 does, a buck and his off time buddy) currently.

as the others have said asking on the forum will give you answers to all your questions (sometime multiple different answers :D ) . If you need a hand with the practical side of things, one of us locals will probably be able to give you a hand.

More
12 years 7 months ago #382464 by LMCL65
Replied by LMCL65 on topic New to Goregeous Goats
I adopted an old girl hersphone (our name) who had been tethered for all the years her current owner had had her which was about 5, and she had inherited her from the previous owners of the property so no-one really knows how old she is. The owner couldn't cope with moving her around as that was all the interact she had. Hersephone had never been with other goats. She 'joined' our herd, which meant she was subjected to the headbutting for rank and file and then Billy 'introduced' himself to her and at her retirement age she gave birth to Louise, her first ever kid. She was a beautiful mother and it was lovely to see her with her own family, however Louise eventually integrated into the herd and Hersephone never did. She is now home with me and Rocky and living out their years, however many that might be. She is so old her joints click when she walks but she is happy and healthy. Not raised in a herd meant that she never was able to integrate with one. She has however assisted me in rounding up the calves one day which was wonderfully cute and her and Rocky talk to each other. Having said all of that, I still think it's good if they can be with their own as they are a herd animal.

Laurette, mother to Eamon (16), Sebastian and Cheve (angel cats) Henry and Bellatrix cats, Sadie and Billy Bob(dogs) Rocky, Lola and Hersephone (rainbow goat) (Goats), Sparrow and Esme (cows), 6 chickens , 6 Khaki campbell ducks, tadpoles and goldfish.

More
12 years 7 months ago #382984 by AnneY
Replied by AnneY on topic New to Goregeous Goats
Thank you all for your great responses - We did start with 2 girls from a place up by Taihape but sadly are now down to just Nina - she does have a wee ex-pet lamb for company and is in kid we think. She is so lovely and think she is such a great goat. We have just had to deworm her, even though we were told she had been dewormed, so hopefully all is back on track for the time being.
What is the general opinion on trying to do the more 'organic' thing to keep the worms at bay??? Someone told me you feed them Apple Cider...??? Anything else you can do??
Thanks everyone

More
12 years 7 months ago #383015 by wal89
Replied by wal89 on topic New to Goregeous Goats
The leaves of willow are a natural antibiotic and also make the rumen a unpleasant place to be for worms. I feed mine heaps of it during summer when its available , i usually only drench chemically when its needed but havent done so for about a year as the willow does work.

More
12 years 7 months ago #383106 by foufee
Replied by foufee on topic New to Goregeous Goats
we managed our worms mostly by cross grazing, not sure what your options are but cross grazing with cattle or horses (sheep share the same worms) reduces laval presence both ways. Cider vinegar, garlic and copper are all supposed to be useful in aiding against worms, but if you have a sheep in with her you will need to be careful with copper as it is toxic to sheep at the levels goats need.

More
12 years 7 months ago #383114 by Rothwell
Cider vinegar, garlic and tea leaves as in giving her the tea bag to chew on each morning after your cup of English Breakfast :-) .... will all help to make the gut less nice for worms. BUT they will not cure a problem. If you can provide long grass for her all the time you may never need to use a "real" manmade chemical (every object is a chemical, even water, salt, air .....). But there will likely be a time when these natural helpers will not do a good enough job.

Time to create page: 0.185 seconds