Water tanks - concrete or plastic

More
12 years 7 months ago #27800 by livvylou
It's not urgent but we need to make a decision re: concrete or plastic water tank. Does it matter? What are the pros and cons? :confused:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #381800 by kate
see this for some information

We've had both and I prefer the concrete...the water seems to taste much better :D

Web Goddess

More
12 years 7 months ago #381804 by Lindeggs
We've had a plastic tank on our bush block since 1999. We have no complaints at all. Being shaded by the bush means the water stays cool and I've never noticed any tainting from the plastic. Although this could be something to do with all the water being filtered through the kanuka leaves in the gutters - the taste of the kanuka probably overpowers the taste of the plastic!

Attached files
File Attachment:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Missing my lovely chooks

More
12 years 7 months ago #381932 by livvylou
Thanks Kate, have just printed that article. Husband leaning toward concrete. We heard a few comments about tainted water. Although ChCh water so heavily chlorinated at the moment, I'm sure plastic tainted water would be a far better option!

Lindeggs, what interesting tasting water you must have!! Unfortunately, the tank won't be in the shade of bush! Unless a couple of poplars and a rogue willow could be considered bush...

More
12 years 7 months ago #382037 by Rothwell
Try to position the tank so that it is on the south side of a building. That way you can keep the tank cool, and catch rain water. With concrete tanks, you can partially bury them. Plastic tanks can be easily moved, so need to be tied down for when they get emptied.

More
12 years 7 months ago #382042 by Ruth
You can roll a plastic tank up a hill to a good position!

More
12 years 7 months ago #382066 by jamiej
We did a lot of homework when we needed a tank and went with plastic in the end. No complaints here and it was a breeze to install as we had to roll it around the back of the shed. Our one is a Devan if you are looking for a brand recommendation.

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds