Starting out

More
12 years 10 months ago #27723 by powai
Starting out was created by powai
Just starting out ...finding it difficult to buy a chicken house for 10 hens at the right price! Also looking to buy Rhode Island Red, Barred Plymouth Rock, Silver Laced Wyandotte and orpington Blue or Black. Any suggestons please
signed :confused:Powai

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #381030 by Lindeggs
Replied by Lindeggs on topic Starting out
For 10 hens I suggest you would be better either building it yourself or buying a generic shed and converting it yourself. If you bought a shed basically all you would need to do is add roosting bars and nest boxes (and storage for supplies if you want to).

A lot of the housing you see advertised seems to be very flimsy and/or they over-estimate how many chickens can fit in it.

I bought a second-hand bus shelter. The frame is steel (so very strong but also very heavy), the roof and back are corrugated steel, and the two sides are painted ply. I made the front out of reclaimed bits & pieces off Freecycle. The floor is just compacted earth covered in a thick layer of fallen leaves. Cheap as chips and would easily fit 10 hens (I have six).

Attached files
File Attachment:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Missing my lovely chooks

More
12 years 10 months ago #381037 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic Starting out
love it.. converted bus shelter :) .. mine is a play house, my chooks have an east facing picture window and north facing aluminium windows..

More
12 years 10 months ago #381040 by Lindeggs
Replied by Lindeggs on topic Starting out
If you're concerned about appearances I recommend building one of these...

Attached files [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/374219=7999-heathers coop.jpg[/img]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Missing my lovely chooks

More
12 years 10 months ago #381055 by stephclark

Lindeggs;374219 wrote: If you're concerned about appearances I recommend building one of these...

whaho.. thats Chook Hilton... one would have to house train the chooks so they didnt mess up the inside ( carpetted no doubt )

More
12 years 10 months ago #381057 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Starting out
OH built mine and it has a full door, a pop-hole roosting rail, outrigger nest boxes to leave room on the inside, an eastern opening window and eve vents. All recycled timber, with wooden floor, but we got flash and matched it to our shed! It is also on runners so if we need to move it, we can
It's 8'x4' more or less and easily sleeps 12 hens.

Attached files [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/374239=8000-chick pic 029.jpg[/img]

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
12 years 10 months ago #381260 by powai
Replied by powai on topic Starting out
Wow, thanks for all those replies. Seems we need to 'think outisde the square'! [;)]

More
12 years 10 months ago #381281 by stephclark
yip thats the best bit of being on a lifestyle block.. one gets to collect alsorts of stuff, cause it can always be used to make something..many a useful shed/run/chook house has been made out of odds and sodds..
the best one i heard here was using flattened tin cans to repair holes in floors,walls and roofs.. brilliant

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds