New Member May Be Transporting Two Sheep

More
12 years 11 months ago #27603 by Monie Lynn
After perusing posts from really informed lifestylers on care of sheep and other bits-n-bobs, I've joined! For the longest time, I thought I was the only person in the country with two pet sheep, but it was only after reading posts here that I realised how wrong I was - what a relief! Glad to be here! Still trying to find out how I'll move the two 'girls' up Northland from Nelson (nothing solid, yet), but will no doubt find out how in time. If anyone has moved 'pet' sheep around the country with some success, would love to hear from you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago #379368 by witheze
Like this......lol or a horsefloat ideally. My neighbour has transported from S.I. I'll ask her if you want me to. Horse transporters come up here, would they have a separate (gear) area a couple of sheep could be accomodated? Personally I would have them with me somehow.

Attached files [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/372399=7944-weaning time 003.jpg[/img]

More
12 years 11 months ago #379447 by Stu_R
:) Witheze :) thats exactly how Biggles ram lamb came home form the hawkesbay :)
LOL and how Grommet and Mopsey used to travel with me all the time :)
:) they seemed to enjoy the rides to :) liked wto watch things go past :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
12 years 11 months ago #379468 by witheze
Mine was not a pet sheep either......my one of two lambs from last season........not handled at All! Was only there for a 5 minute ride....otherwise she would have had a nappy too. [:0]

More
12 years 11 months ago #379492 by Jen- Maromaku
Welcome, where in Northland are you moving up to?

More
12 years 11 months ago #379496 by LMCL65
Witheze, hope the seat covers weren't too traumatising for her lol!!

Laurette, mother to Eamon (16), Sebastian and Cheve (angel cats) Henry and Bellatrix cats, Sadie and Billy Bob(dogs) Rocky, Lola and Hersephone (rainbow goat) (Goats), Sparrow and Esme (cows), 6 chickens , 6 Khaki campbell ducks, tadpoles and goldfish.

More
12 years 11 months ago #379817 by Monie Lynn
Witheze! Love the pic!!! I'd LOVE to have them with us on the ride, guess I'm just trying to figure out the logistics, including the ride over on the ferry.

More
12 years 11 months ago #379820 by Monie Lynn
Jen-Maromaku ... probably going to Kerikeri area (depending on my partner's job), but we're leaving from Nelson, so there'll be a ferry ride plus all those kms in between!

More
12 years 11 months ago #379836 by GloPony
I'm pretty sure the pet couriers take pet sheep. Otherwise, as suggested, mine travel with me in the car (back of the stationwagon or 4WD) but it's a l-o-n-g trip if they're not seasoned travellers! [:0]

I do know a horse transporter who could possibly take them too. Let me know if you'd like her number.

AWESOME to find others who have been smitten by pet sheep! :D

Welcome to Northland too!! [;)]

More
12 years 11 months ago #379952 by Monie Lynn
GloPony, everything is still up in the air so far, but would love a number if it comes to that. My biggest concern is handing these two over (and, believe me, they're nothing special in anyone else's eyes!) to some schmo truckie; I'd want to be certain they'd be well cared for on the ride, if you know what I mean, which is, I guess, why I was hoping (as in your case) someone would have a personal contact instead of me just ringing up a livestock transport company and doing it all blind.

More
12 years 11 months ago #379953 by Monie Lynn
Have to say, also, that I'm glad to know all of you are out there! Appreciate the replies! Thanks :)

More
12 years 11 months ago #379967 by Rothwell
I moved 2 donkeys from Kurow to Nelson in our trailer with sides during summer. They had an overnight in Rangiora, and got back onto the trailer next morning with no difficulty.
If I were moving 2 sheep in winter, they would go in the trailer, but covered. At the overnight stop, if there was one, they would be fed in the trailer with a few pellets and a little hay, and given some water. Non-pregnant sheep in good condition can last 36 hours with no food and little water, by digesting all the grass in their rumen. As with children and car-sickness, animals travel in more comfort if they are not overfed before or during the journey.

More
12 years 11 months ago #380093 by GloPony

Monie Lynn;373027 wrote: GloPony, everything is still up in the air so far, but would love a number if it comes to that. My biggest concern is handing these two over (and, believe me, they're nothing special in anyone else's eyes!) to some schmo truckie; I'd want to be certain they'd be well cared for on the ride, if you know what I mean, which is, I guess, why I was hoping (as in your case) someone would have a personal contact instead of me just ringing up a livestock transport company and doing it all blind.

No worries Monie Lynn. I'll PM you Jo's number so you have it for future reference. :)

I know EXACTLY how you feel about your precious cargo! My girls are not "just sheep" either. [;)][^] :D

More
12 years 10 months ago #381160 by Monie Lynn

Rothwell;373043 wrote: I moved 2 donkeys from Kurow to Nelson in our trailer with sides during summer. They had an overnight in Rangiora, and got back onto the trailer next morning with no difficulty.
If I were moving 2 sheep in winter, they would go in the trailer, but covered. At the overnight stop, if there was one, they would be fed in the trailer with a few pellets and a little hay, and given some water. Non-pregnant sheep in good condition can last 36 hours with no food and little water, by digesting all the grass in their rumen. As with children and car-sickness, animals travel in more comfort if they are not overfed before or during the journey.

Hi Rothwell! That's good info to have as it was one of the questions at the back of my brain with all of this!

More
12 years 10 months ago #381163 by Monie Lynn

GloPony;373181 wrote: No worries Monie Lynn. I'll PM you Jo's number so you have it for future reference. :)

I know EXACTLY how you feel about your precious cargo! My girls are not "just sheep" either. [;)][^] :D

Glo Pony! Sorry for the delay - yes, any number would be great. We're still trying to decide if we're making the move ($ is a big issue, but also jobs!). I always feel like I have to apologise for the girls' status as 'pets' but there you go, so, again, glad to know there are others out there with a similar stance - the world just isn't that black-and-white! :)

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds