Hi everyone

More
11 years 1 month ago #27481 by wantabes
Hi everyone was created by wantabes
Hi everyone, my family and I were badly affected by the Ch Ch quakes,our house of 9 weeks is stuffed :( so we're moving out country :) . we're looking at land versus established. has anyone got some does & don'ts on starting up a lsb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #377867 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Hi everyone
Trawl through the discussion threads on here and you'll find all sorts of ideas and advice. You will find however that this website is a bit like a bar of chocolate. It may contain the occaisional nut.

More
11 years 1 month ago #377881 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Hi everyone
Do search the archives, as it will help you narrow down your searching and questions in the process. It depends on where your family, personally, want to start. Where do you need to live, ie how far from town/work/schools, etc.? What sort of livestock? What sort of climate? T here are many micro-climates just in and around the small town near which we live: the big snow we got in 2006 dropped 29 inches on us, but only half that of friend on the opposite side of Oxford, about 10kms away. What sort of things would you consider growing (market garden, orchard, just veggies and fruit for the family)? Soils are also important to consider: what is ideal for my goats (stony and free draining!) isn't ideal for everyone else. Soil maps are available at Lincoln Uni, and are probably even online these days.

I think the most important things to consider are shelter, shelter, & shelter. Nearly everyone I talk to who has bought a bare block in our area (North Canty, near Oxford) has wished that they had more shelter. We get some hellish winds out here, and it takes 8-12 years for a decent shelter belt to grow. Then there's water. Where will it come from? Bore? Water race? Rural supply? The sky? Fencing for whatever you keep is important, but hinges on what you grow/graze.

Lots of things to consider, so I can see why a blank slate could be appealing.

Welcome!

More
11 years 1 month ago #377993 by Rothwell
Replied by Rothwell on topic Hi everyone
igor, who are you calling a nut? Just because I grow walnuts, chestnuts, pine nuts, hazel nuts and don't know what to do with the darned things does not make me a nut.
Now the "naked farm tours" thread - unfortunately (I think) removed - that was nutty. Frisbee or who-ever he was obviously didn't know about gorse, blackberry, stinging nettle, bush lawyer .....

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds