lots to learn

More
11 years 1 month ago #27459 by Harry Orr
lots to learn was created by Harry Orr
Hi all

Julie and I have 6 acres of an old apple and pear orchard in greytown that we are learning to fence and stock. Up until yesterday we had 2 cows, 6 sheep, five lambs, 4 saddleback pigs. we now have 1 cow, 6 sheep, 1 lamb and four pigs and meat being processed. We have not sprayed or prunned for about four years and apart from black spot the apples and pears are very good. Anyway we can only 'farm' in the weekends so we have a lot to learn and a lot to do. But we love it.

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #377901 by Blueberry
Replied by Blueberry on topic lots to learn
Hi Harry
Gosh, i'm so jealous!! :D :D an old orchard!! Do you know what varieties you have?

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
11 years 1 month ago #377988 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic lots to learn

Harry Orr;370477 wrote: Hi all

Julie and I have 6 acres of an old apple and pear orchard in greytown that we are learning to fence and stock. Up until yesterday we had 2 cows, 6 sheep, five lambs, 4 saddleback pigs. we now have 1 cow, 6 sheep, 1 lamb and four pigs and meat being processed. We have not sprayed or prunned for about four years and apart from black spot the apples and pears are very good. Anyway we can only 'farm' in the weekends so we have a lot to learn and a lot to do. But we love it.

Cheers

Welcome Harry and Julie - we met you and Shyler on Sunday at the Quince Grove. OH covets your 20" Stihl - he wants to know if, as in the ad, you will leave it to him when you die? Seriously, we have learned so much from this site, and met some wonderful people. Welcome!

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
11 years 1 month ago #377989 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic lots to learn

Blueberry;370787 wrote: Hi Harry
Gosh, i'm so jealous!! :D :D an old orchard!! Do you know what varieties you have?

We were lucky enough to be able to pick some of Harry and Julie's apples and pears to make preserves with their fruit - it was superb :)

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds