1st Post - Kune Kune

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #27431 by SDF
1st Post - Kune Kune was created by SDF
Hi

Newbie to LSB. I actually live on an average sized sheep & beef farm, hardly a lifestyle block but would like to get together a few "Farm Friends", the latest is a kune kune. I got her under the assumption that they don't root up the ground - hmmmm she does !
I have other large breed pigs for breeding and eating who are ringed or don't root up the ground.
Is my only option to ring her ? I am not opposed but her little nose looks too small to get a ring in there ????
At the moment she is in a small-ish pen til she grows fat enough not to be able to squeeze thru the wires on the pig pen !!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #377370 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic 1st Post - Kune Kune
:) welcome to the site :)
The Kune kune boar i have isnt ringed and never even looks like root up paddock :) .. at the moment he has 2 "girlfriends" visiting .. the people that own them have ringed them .. both have 2 wire rings in nose and they dont root up the place either.
So if your girl roots already .. then i would guess yes you will have to ring her ... if you want any paddock left :)
Kune's are really good fun to have :) and are very intelligent

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #377384 by Rothwell
Replied by Rothwell on topic 1st Post - Kune Kune
There is a big range of what sort of ring or rings you get for the pig. We put 3 little rings into the legendary Miss Piggy when she was about 20 kg, and what an experience that was. Even ungreased she was as slippery as a greased pig. The rings worked for a while, but after the wounds healed she was back into her rooting ways. At 50kg there was no way that I would have been able to hold her still.

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #377385 by The Kats Place
Replied by The Kats Place on topic 1st Post - Kune Kune
Bummer that she is rooting up the paddock, I have 7 Kune kune at present and there is a wee bit of rooting but very little, they make more mess pugging up the gateways with their feet. Only one of mine is ringed and she was a rehome that came that way. I guess its just in you piggys nature to do it. If you get the vet to do it get a nice neat job, there was one on here (with photos) recently that made me feel sick.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #377393 by xevbellringer
Replied by xevbellringer on topic 1st Post - Kune Kune
Instead of a large ring thru the centre, go for 2 small rings at 10 O'clock & 2 O'Clock. You can get the clips & clipper from Farmlands et al. I have found that our local vets know nothing about pigs & generally make a hash of it.

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #377395 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic 1st Post - Kune Kune
good point xevbellringer .. out of all the vets round my way , only 2 good on and know much about pigs
:) the 2 visiting girls at grove at moment have wire rings at 10 and 2 oclock as you say :) .. and no one has even looked like rooting anything :)

:) xevbellringer .. i have a feeling my boy Petie pig is maybe the son of one of yours :) .. he is one Sue Webber bred .. by Bert out of Beryl :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #377400 by The Kats Place
Replied by The Kats Place on topic 1st Post - Kune Kune
He is from xevbellringers line, he is half brother to my Chrunchie - or maybe full brother but different litter, anyway I got my darling boy from xevbellringer. His nose may have been ringed when we got him - I can't remember, however if it was its gone now.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
10 years 10 months ago #386333 by One Farm
Replied by One Farm on topic 1st Post - Kune Kune
Hi there, we are new to LSB as well, but, Yahoo for it! Its so good to read what everyone else is up to. In all my great wisdom, I answered two ads on the supermarket wall for FREE PIGS! yes they were both the adorable Kune Kune variety. Pig one, ROLY, a ginger male, NOT a mini kune kune as indicated by owner, totally fills out the dog basket now, PIG two, Poppy, a mini Kune Kune. Poppy had a ring in her nose when we got her, but that did not deter her AT ALL!!! Roly didn't have one, but now Poppy has taught him some tricks allright. Best advice is that Kune Kunes are grazers in essence, so maybe resign yourself to one area of the block that can be dug up and then used later for veges!? perhaps. I am not sure what the answer is but we had a devil of a time keeping them in any one area, but have now mastered the electric fence and so that is now keeping them in 'their' area and my roses, lawn, veges in 'theirs'. Trick of the electric fence with the pigs is two lines. Keep the bottom line right on the bottom cleat on the posts and the second at the pigs eye level. Good luck[;)]

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds