Hi everyone

More
11 years 1 month ago #27345 by kuail man
Hi everyone was created by kuail man
Hi my new teachers!!
It's glad to be a member here as I can learn a lot of lifestyleblock.
I have just moved in to this small sea, riverside cottage(my dream house)
a month ago(still unpacking[:I]).
we have couple of pigs, sheep, a goat, lot's of chickens and bantams, Doves, Quails, and a cat.
I have NO IDEA how to keep the animals and gardens. my partner knows a bit of chickens and gardens but we need a lot of help from here I guess.
Anyway, it's nice to meet yous here.
Looking forward to talk to you guys soon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #376617 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Hi everyone
If the goat was raised on the property then it will be accustomed to the climate. If you have brought it from further north then it should have shelter, that you might have to teach it about. If it's pregnant, remember that pigs eat little goats, and little lambs.

More
11 years 1 month ago #376723 by kuail man
Replied by kuail man on topic Hi everyone
Thanks Long Ridge.
Most of the animals we bought with this property, only the Doves and few chickens were from previous house. The Goat is wether and it's angora goat, we might have to move the pigs and get some more of angora goats to make him happy. Do you know where I could get some angora goats from otago?
oamaru area?

More
11 years 1 month ago #376744 by kaybe
Replied by kaybe on topic Hi everyone
Hi kuail man, welcome to the site. Your new location sounds delightful! I was a complete newbie to livestock keeping as well when I moved here, the folks on this site have been excellent help, but I can also highly recommend Trisha Fisk's book 'Practical Smallfarming in New Zealand' which pretty much covers how to look after all the types of animal you have and more besides, and is available for consultation at all hours of the night and day, when folks on here might be asleep or at work :-)
What sort of pigs and sheep do you have?

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

• BFree
11 years 4 weeks ago #377238 by BFree
Replied by BFree on topic Hi everyone
Hi there: I'm keen on following your progress and super keen on advice you will get. I have no animals since our neighbouring Vet moved away. The other day I stopped in at the SPCA but it was closed thank God! It is so hard to not have animals, and shame I have of any animal neglect. I did mention to the neighbour I would have a lamb or two to nurse if needed... Good luck, sounds good! Barb

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #377353 by kuail man
Hi Kaybe. Thank you for the advise Yes, I'll go and have a look the book you mentioned and the sheep.. I don't know what kind they are to be honest. the pigs are kunekune pigs about 11year old.. and very hungry ^^.
Hi BFree. it's nice to meet you here, yes, we are very excited about this place and how we are going to change this place. We are leaning towards to Birds at the moment..

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #377896 by Blueberry
Replied by Blueberry on topic Hi everyone
Hi KM
welcome the the site - good advice and good fun, too. And congrats on your block - soo nice to have a piece of land. I read with interest you have quails - that's one of the things we're thinking of adding to our menagerie. I might pick your brains sometimes?

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #378391 by kuail man
Hi Blueberry!
Yes, I've got some more Quails the other day. they are not laying at the moment as it's too cold and short days. I'm looking at getting an incubator. I heard Quails are not good mothers. We have few berry trees and few fruit trees. not the blueberry tree though. we are thinking of getting some more fruit trees and berry trees soon. It would be good to share information here I'm new to quails but Will let you know what I'm doing and what's happening around here. Have a nice day~~!

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #378837 by Blueberry
Yeah, i read they are terrible mothers, too.
I also read that it's hard to get them hatched by chickens, but i'd like to give it a go nevertheless. Where did you get your additional quails from?

Once your birds are laying, I 'd be interested to get some fertile eggs.

Now's a good time to plant fruit trees - right through to August.

Depending of how much in a hurry you are - vs. how much you can spend [;)] - there's always the option of growing cuttings yourself.

i could help you get some of those - just PM me.

[;)] Blueberry

More
11 years 1 week ago #379210 by Rothwell
Replied by Rothwell on topic Hi everyone
Blueberry FYI :-) ..... conifers that have been grown in the north tend to do poorly when moved south, so I suspect that might apply to fruit trees too :-)
Getting back to the question you asked LR (me in another life). If your goat has only had sheep for company then the sheep that he is with will be fine. We got a goat that had been raised with cows from the property 200 meters away. When she was put into our flock of goats she always tried to get back in with our cows. She never, in about 6 years, got accepted into the goat flock even though her kids did.

More
11 years 1 week ago #379271 by Blueberry
Hi Rothwell
depends on what fruit we're talking about.[;)] Apple and pears should not be a problem to acclimatise, but are hard to grow from cuttings anyway, plums depends on the variety, as it does for peaches and nectarines. As for apricots, those might even perform better down south then up here. if you start with cuttings, the tree has some time to acclimatise.
I've gotten scionwood from SCES last year, and they are doing just fine on my Nelson grown rootstocks.
But anyway, by cuttings i meant more like for berry fruit; currants and so on - they would not be so fussy.

[;)] Blueberry

• Geny
11 years 1 week ago #379590 by Geny
Replied by Geny on topic Hi everyone
Hi everyone! I am a new !

P90x Workout Videos ,a good lifestyle !

Time to create page: 0.273 seconds