Kunekune fan

More
11 years 1 month ago #27283 by PiggiWiggi
Kunekune fan was created by PiggiWiggi
Hi, can anyone help me please. I'm looking for a recommended Homekill butcher to takecare of my Kunekune crossed Wild Boar. He's about 7 months at the moment and distroying everything LOL. We have 3 other Kunekunes which are pets but they root up the paddock so we need to down size. We'd also like to get a sheep and a yearling for the freezer, but we definately need help before going there!
We're new to this lifestyle (well both my husband and I grew up on land but left as soon as we were old enough). We're in between Palmy and Ashhurst.
Also where do people manage to get 1 or 2 sheep....everyone keeps telling us to get 15 or so....I dont know what to do with 1 let alone 15! :(
Any general farming advice would be awesome :) :) Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #376115 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Kunekune fan
Hin ya PiggiWiggi :)
Welcome to the LSB cyber family :)
:) there are locals on here ( lol though not that many from manawatu) that have sheep you can get small lots of :)
Um we have used Steve Bright in Feilding for sheep and he seems good , but you need to take animal to him
There maybe on closer to you that 4tress or them know of :)
If you want a couple of wether hoggets that are friendly and weet-bix addicted .. lol or a couple of wether lambs that are super friendly and sheep nut and weet-bix addicted .. lol have a couple of those
Am happy to help you guys with anything i can to do with sheep and animals .. :) and know enough on here to get info that i dont know :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
11 years 1 month ago #376117 by The Kats Place
Replied by The Kats Place on topic Kunekune fan
welcome.
As for the butcher, ask around, best way to find out for you area.
As for sheep, I only have 4, if you only want to raise them to freezer size then try local farmers and offer to take a orphan lamb or two and hand raise them on the bottle, if the are long stayers then got for something like whiltshire that are self sheading, cut your work load down a bit.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
11 years 1 month ago #376165 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Kunekune fan
Welcome to the site PiggiWiggi.
If you can butcher a sheep then you can butcher a little pig. If you don't have the facilities to do the hot water bath thing and scrape the hair off the pig like a real slaughterman would do then just skin it.
On the land area you have you should be able to get away with a couple of beef cattle and maybe half a dozen sheep if the pasture is good and the winters are mild. You will, of course, need to feed them some hay through the hungry time.

More
11 years 1 month ago #376192 by PiggiWiggi
Replied by PiggiWiggi on topic Kunekune fan
Hi guys, thanks for the great suggestions. Unfortunately Kats, all the local farmers here have sheep or lease out their land so they kill the odd 1 or 2 but dont know what to do with a pig....lol. Igor, I'm not sure i'd have the stomach to kill a pig - let alone know how! Will try to find a number for Steve Bright. Thanks again

More
11 years 1 month ago #376230 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Kunekune fan
Steve Bright is good .. well my xperience is on sheep .. and he is great and not expensive .. .. just the cost of trailer the animal to his place is the only extra
:) but friend's that have had him do Kune pigs befor .. say he is great and very cost effective on those to :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
11 years 1 month ago #376255 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Kunekune fan
The legendary Miss Piggy was fully wild. We were told when she arrived, at 530 grams, that she would grow to be very fat. We fed her hardly anything, she had lots of exercise, and when we had to kill her at 63kg live (she got grumpy with the dog), we got 25kg of fat, and 20 kg of meat.
Kunes are notorious for being very fat too, so I would suggest to your homekill guy that he skins and de-fats your pig for you.

Time to create page: 0.211 seconds